Sign in with
Your question

Watercooling SLI rig

Tags:
  • Heatsinks
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
March 31, 2010 11:39:44 PM

Hello, I intend to water cool my gaming rig, been running on air for almost 1 year now, and i am sick of my 10+ Fans.

First of all, this is my hardware:

PSU:Corsair HX 1000W
CPU: i7 920 @ 3.6 Ghz
CPU cooler: Noctua NH-U12P SE1366
GPU1: EVGA GeForce GTX 285 1GB "SSC"
GPU2: EVGA GeForce GTX 285 1GB "SSC"
MOBO: ASUS Rampage II Extreme, X58
RAM: Corsair Dominator DHX+ DDR3 1600MHz 6GB
SSD: Intel X25-M 160GB 34nm MLC G2 SSD
HDD: x2 Samsung SpinPoint F1 1TB SATA2
Sound card: ASUS Xonar Essence STX

The cpu is doing fine temp-wise, but my 285's are running pretty hot during heavy load over time (80 C~) , and then the noise from the fans is getting way too high.
With the 285's in SLI and the sound card in the 3rd SLI slot the airflow is not optimal, I think. (even tho I have 3x 120mm fans in the door, 1 in the back, 2in the front and 1 at the top)

So i've been looking at water cooling components, and noticed that http://www.ekwaterblocks.com/shop/ are selling some decent parts.
I need a good cpu block and 2 gpu blocks (obviously), and oh well... pretty much everything.

This looks like a good CPU block: http://www.ekwaterblocks.com/shop/blocks/cpu-blocks/ek-...

but the GPU block: I am not quite sure if I should go for copper, nickel, Acetal, or Acetal+Nickel.

Do I need more than one radiator?

I am new to water-cooling so I would really much appreciate if someone could help me choose some really nice components.

Please help me out here

More about : watercooling sli rig

a c 86 K Overclocking
April 1, 2010 4:01:43 AM

Lot like me. My rig.

Two loops.

Read up.

http://www.overclockers.com/annual-water-cooling-cleani...

And no, I won't spend 3 hours building a list from 4 different online stores of everything you need. Then seeing you spray water all over your beloved GPU's. I HAVE seen it happen. This is where you dig down, read all the links, join a few forums, spend weeks learning, deciding, making your final decision and posting a smart, understandable parts list.

Hard love dude. Its not as easy as putting a new cover on a pillow.
April 1, 2010 1:28:06 PM

Conumdrum said:
Lot like me. My rig.

Two loops.

Read up.

http://www.overclockers.com/annual-water-cooling-cleani...

And no, I won't spend 3 hours building a list from 4 different online stores of everything you need. Then seeing you spray water all over your beloved GPU's. I HAVE seen it happen. This is where you dig down, read all the links, join a few forums, spend weeks learning, deciding, making your final decision and posting a smart, understandable parts list.

Hard love dude. Its not as easy as putting a new cover on a pillow.

Thanks for the feedback.
I will do my best learning and post a list of parts, and how I will create the loop, and then await constructive criticism.
Related resources
a c 86 K Overclocking
April 2, 2010 4:58:24 AM

Okay, You replied. Take note of the other forums in the sticky at the top. Read 20-50 last posts from beginning to end. Bookmark/fav all of the links. Hang out, learn.

Have fun, don't rush it. Watercooling is truely a science to some. The rest of us is't basic knowledge. It's the internet, so it takes time to learn. Your PC is fine I hope, same for me. I learned, participated on 3 forums, read a lot. Watercoolng has bee great for me.
April 6, 2010 4:26:33 AM

lithium_battery said:

Do I need more than one radiator?

I am new to water-cooling so I would really much appreciate if someone could help me choose some really nice components.

Please help me out here

i rule that i usually use when im building a WC rig is for each 120mm section of radiator, it should be able to cool one component.

for an example you have a single 120mm rad, you can cool your cpu. if you have a dual 120mm rad, two components.

if you were planning to cool both your 3 GPU and you cpu then i would do to loops like the other guy said. a single 120mm rad for your cpu and an either a dual or triple 120mm rad for your GPUs.
April 8, 2010 5:08:12 PM

i4yue said:
i rule that i usually use when im building a WC rig is for each 120mm section of radiator, it should be able to cool one component.

for an example you have a single 120mm rad, you can cool your cpu. if you have a dual 120mm rad, two components.

if you were planning to cool both your 3 GPU and you cpu then i would do to loops like the other guy said. a single 120mm rad for your cpu and an either a dual or triple 120mm rad for your GPUs.

Thanks for the comment, I was thinking about one Black Ice GTX360 for my GPU's and one for my CPU
But then this may be "overkill" for my CPU.

This is the basic idea I had. (before reading your comment)

2 Loops (one for cpu, and one for gpu's)
1/2" Tubes.

2x Swiftech MCP655
2x Black Ice GTX360
1x Swiftech APOGEE XT
2x DD-GTX285 (with CrossSLI Danger Den Fittings)
2x EK-Multioption reservoir 250

The Black Ice GTX360 may be overkill for my cpu alone, pretty strong pump aswell. I may not need high rpm fans for my rads then, and lower noise level is nice.
The pump can be adjusted (1800 rpm to 4800 rpm) but I think i need some serious pumping power due to the big radiators.
Let me know what you think.
April 9, 2010 7:38:30 AM

lithium_battery said:
Thanks for the comment, I was thinking about one Black Ice GTX360 for my GPU's and one for my CPU
But then this may be "overkill" for my CPU.

This is the basic idea I had. (before reading your comment)

2 Loops (one for cpu, and one for gpu's)
1/2" Tubes.

2x Swiftech MCP655
2x Black Ice GTX360
1x Swiftech APOGEE XT
2x DD-GTX285 (with CrossSLI Danger Den Fittings)
2x EK-Multioption reservoir 250

The Black Ice GTX360 may be overkill for my cpu alone, pretty strong pump aswell. I may not need high rpm fans for my rads then, and lower noise level is nice.
The pump can be adjusted (1800 rpm to 4800 rpm) but I think i need some serious pumping power due to the big radiators.
Let me know what you think.

i have an extremely weak pump right now and my rig is doing fine. the pump is at minimum 3 years old and is due for a retirement but its pumping fluid just fine through the dual 120mm rad. for a cpu i think anything over 500l/h would be fine.
a c 86 K Overclocking
April 9, 2010 3:06:46 PM

Lph is just inportant as head pressure. Low head, low flow because of restrictions. Just something to think about.

The 655 for the CPU loop is way enough. And radiators are very free flowing in comparison to CPU blocks and mobo blocks. GPU blocks are pretty free flowing.

The GTX 360 would be overkill. Why not get a rad that is made for lower speed fans?

Black Ice SR-1, Thermochill PA, XSPC RX. Take a look using these site for test results.

http://martin.skinneelabs.com/
http://www.skinneelabs.com/
April 12, 2010 8:22:36 PM

Thanks again Conumdrum

I want to make my wc setup alittle quiet.

I've been thinking on cooling the mobo aswell, and come up with this:

Loop 1:
1/2" Tube
1x Swiftech APOGEE XT
1x EK-FB RE2 ver.2 Acetal+Nickel (NB / SB)
1x EK-MOSFET ASUS X58 KIT - Acetal+Nickel
1x XSPC RX360
3x Noctua NF-S12B ULN 120mm 700 RPM, 56,9 m³/h, 6,8 dB
1x EK-Multioption reservoir 250 (w/ EK-ANTI Cyclon)
1x Swiftech MCP655 (at setting 3)
1x EK-D5 Dual TOP 2-LOOPS

Loop 2:
1/2" Tube
2x EK-FC285 GTX - Acetal+Nickel (Variable SLI/CF fitting - ¼" BSPP (G¼) - 1 Slot)
1x XSPC RX360
3x Noctua NF-S12B ULN 120mm 700 RPM, 56,9 m³/h, 6,8 dB
1x 1x EK-Multioption reservoir 250 (w/ EK-ANTI Cyclon)
1x Swiftech MCP655 (lvl 3)

Still no sure about the pumps, but the idea I got so far is 2x Swiftech MCP655 (@lvl 3) and EK-D5 Dual TOP 2-LOOPS - Black Acetal
I need a pump able to handle my Loop nr 1, and I was thinking the D5 should be able to handle this even at lower settings.
I read the D5 (mcp655) is very quiet at lvl 3, but create alittle more vibration.

Please comment on my choice of parts and I would love some help with the pumps.

!