Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Athlon II X4 L3 Cache

Last response: in Overclocking
April 1, 2010 12:10:58 AM

I just got a deneb processor and I've been able to use ACC to unlock the L3 cache but I cannot boot into windows with this feature enabled. It's an installation that I had previously with my 630 so I don't know whether it needs a fresh install or that there's something I'm forgetting, Please help. Thanks :) 

More about : athlon cache

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
April 1, 2010 12:18:11 AM

If it is haveing problems booting into windows then the L3 is most likely defective and would be the reason it is disabled. Just because it unlocks in bios does not mean it will be stable and if its not booting its clearly not stable. You basically have a 50 50 chance of getting a chip that was just disabled or is actually defective.
a b K Overclocking
April 1, 2010 12:45:06 AM

So you upgraded from an Athlon II X4 (Propus) to a Phenom II X4 (Deneb)? If that's the case, then you don't need to use ACC to "unlock" the L3 cache, as the Deneb's all have their L3 cache unlocked already. That's what originally set them apart from the first Athlon II's (they were just stripped down Denebs, but now AMD makes whole new chips without any disabled L3).
m
l
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
April 1, 2010 12:48:52 AM

jedimasterben said:
So you upgraded from an Athlon II X4 (Propus) to a Phenom II X4 (Deneb)? If that's the case, then you don't need to use ACC to "unlock" the L3 cache, as the Deneb's all have their L3 cache unlocked already. That's what originally set them apart from the first Athlon II's (they were just stripped down Denebs, but now AMD makes whole new chips without any disabled L3).

Good call I didn't catch that I dont know all the different names for AMDs like that I thought he was talking about the ATHLON II.
m
l
April 1, 2010 2:16:24 AM

na, i am talking about the athlon II i got a 620 and use ACC.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
April 1, 2010 2:32:06 AM

Well, you had said you just got a Deneb, which is the Phenom II variant.

Since you have an AII, you will most likely NOT be able to unlock any L3 cache, as all Athlon II's other than the first batch have their L3 cache completely cut out of the CPU die. I do not know which revision you'd want to look for, but I can tell you that if you got it recently, you're most likely out of luck. :( 
m
l
a b À AMD
a b K Overclocking
April 1, 2010 8:12:38 AM

The original batch of Athlon II X4 used a number of Phenom II X4's Deneb processors with disabled L3 cache to help meet early demand for the budget chips. Because AMD was disableing perfectly working Phenom II it was possible to unlock the L3 cache. Now the majority of Athlon II X4 are the Propus die which is manufactured with no L3 cache to lower manufactureing costs, you can't unlock L3 on these because it isn't there. I would also imagine AMD sells Deneb with defective L3 cache as Propus so they don't have to scrap the chip, if that's true it would unlock the L3 but it wouldn't be stable.
m
l
April 8, 2010 1:53:18 AM

Best answer selected by dickcruz.
m
l
!