Sensor movement gone bad?

Bingy

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
Sensor movement gone bad?

Hi ive been using an intel heatsink for 3 weeks senson movement was around 7 on one core and around 9 on the other.
I discounted the mobo and all the cables and left it like that for 3-4 weeks.
Now I just got a Thermalright Ultra-120 extreme and the sensor movement is 2 on one core and 0 on the other. (best I ever get is 3 and 1 or 2 and 1, but normalling reading 2 and 0.)

I mean how come before with the intel stock cooler my sensor movement on real temp was reasonable according to what they say is typical. I had a movement of around 7 on one core and around 9 on the other.

They say "typical movement is between 3 and 15" "A difference +/-2 between any two sensors is typical. Greater then 3 is a warning sign, that the sensor is stuck.

Now 2-4 weeks later after the computer has been off with a new TRUE-120 My sensor movements are 2 on one core and 1 on the other. Half and half the second core gets a 0 sensor movement. they say "A sensor that shows zero movemnt during this test is stuck and not capable of providing accurate idle temperatures."

How have I had a typical sensor movement that has gone to where the movement is below the typical movement 3-15, plus one core that is some times stuck at 0. I dont see what could of caused this change.

Is it possible to actaully damage your sensors and change your senson movements? Phsyicall damage installing the intel push pin heatsink, may have done it? Or is this not possible to damage the sensors like this?

Also i get 35C 35C real temp 35C 35C core temp both same temps with the old intel stock heatsink(temps havent changed, but sensor movement have.) But bios used to read 44.5C-45C, but now its 35C to 36C. Why has the temps in my bios changed, though real temp and core temp, temperatures havent changed... IS it possible the temps cant be read below a certain low temp? such as 35 on real temp. Ive never seen it go below 30C.

Bingy

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
I got around 43C-44C on one core and around 39-41 on second core with prime95 100% load.

What I wanna know is why by changing to a TRUE-120 has my sensors got worse?

And are my temps good or bad? with a E8500 and a TRUE-120.

Bingy

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
why is it recommended that to add thermal paste to the cpu AND base of the heatsink, according to the thermalrights instructions.

Bingy

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
Can using a better Heatsink like the thermalright ultra-120 extreme make the sensor movement numbers lower (0-4, range.)then previously with the intel stock cpu cooler which had average 7-9 range sensor movement.

Though Realtemp and core temp are showing the exactly the same temps as before. Could it be that low temps on my E8500 just cant be detected and the lowest is 35C on real temp and core temp.

Only saw an improvement in the bios from before 45C-45.5C to 35.5C to 36C. About a 9C improvement. So if you toke around 9 degrees from real temp and core temp you would get around 25C-26C. Would this would right? Im getting 44C-40C on both cores at 100% load on Prime95 and before playing games and stuff with the intel HS the max was around 44C so if I had tested using Prime 95 I would expect around 50C? as it stress it at 100% and just playing games and stuff id never be close to 100%.

What do you think? Why have my sensor movements on real temp decreased/declined, cooler temps from the TRUE-120? (is this theory possible.?) and that real temp and core temp just cant detect any lower then 35C (but bios has had an improvement in degress, about 9-10.)

Kari

Splendid
if you use more efficient cooler it will lower both idle and load temps, but of course the load temps will decrease more in degrees...
lets say the old hetsink has thermal resistance of 0.5ºC/W and the new one 0.2ºC/W. CPU thermal output at idle could be 15W and at load 40W.
with old cooler idle temp would be 0.5ºC/W*15W=7.5ºC over ambient and at load 20ºC over ambient
with new cooler, idle 3ºC and load 8ºC over ambient. (this is somewhat simplified example and those values are pulled from the hat, but...)

and I believe intel has said at somepoint that those sensors on the chip aren't that accurate at temps below 50ºC (or was it 60), and the lower the temp the more it can be of the target...

and if you're really interested, you could take a look at the core2 temperature guide http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/page-221745_11_0.html
There's some good stuff about calibration tests with undervolting and underclocking the cpu to get the lowest heat output possible and thus temps close to ambient to get the baseline...