Safe Surface for components

david8115

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2009
What is safe surface for motherboards etc..

I know something like cardboard is good, and u shouldn't wear socks, and you should stand up, any other tips?

Also can you flip the anti static bag inside out and have a safe surface?

I do all of my building on my carpeted floor. I always wear socks. I never stand up as I work on the floor. Static can be serious, but it's not as common as it may sound. Just touch something metal (case) before working on the motherboard. If you're real concerned, get a grounded wrist strap. They are ~ $10.

vegettonox

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2006
A wood or plastic table is all you really need. The biggest thing in component safety is this rule, follow it and youll be fine. Only take your compontents out of their bags the moment you plan on installing them. If you need to set it down do so on a hardwood table. Antistatic bags are designed to discharge the static on your body when you pick them up. If you then touch something else after holding onto the item you can then cause a problem. Just hold onto a metal part of your computer system for a few seconds and then pick up your part and always avoid placing your fingers and hands on connectors and microchips.

Reference antistatic Bagging. The outside is conductive very high ohmic value to dissipate a static charge. Inside is non-conductive which prevents any charge on the outside being transfered to circuit on inside of the bag.

Added: High ohmic value => 20 megohms per square in which should be safe to lay a circuit card on.

zfuqua91

Commendable
Mar 25, 2016

very wrong. Do not do this. they make the outside a little conductive to ensure any static isn't transferred through the bag and stays on the outside of the bag.
any smooth hard surface is fine. just keep touching the power supply frame while plugged into a wall but while it's off every few minutes. an antistatic wrist band is only about 6 bucks. connect it to the power supply in the same way and you're A-OK