Anyone have a 4850 x2?

Anath

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2006
Hey Guys I posted a problem i was having with windows vista x64 + my 9800gtx and decided it was time to upgrade anyways. Since i was getting a little tired of nvidias drivers i decided to pick up a saphire 4850x2 from the egg.

I have seen great things from the card in reviews and was wondering if anyone here had one and could tell me how it performs. Thanks!

I don't have an X2, but I do have a single 4850 (that I like a lot). A single 4850 is around a 9800GTX, so if a game is crossfire optimized (a big "if") then you could see some very nice gains. I think the 4850X2 is not far behind the 4870X2, so I think you will like it a lot.

KooolaNL

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2008
i have and this happend 2 me

hi alll i am having this problem with my new rig

any game in example crashes when i start it fullscreen

i RMA'd the card for that and they where telling it was working well

i reinstalled vista sp1 32bit and xp 32bit + flash bios from mobo

removed 1 stick of ram took that out and placed in another one still thesame problem

then i just placed them back in and kept trying 2 uninstall drivers and reinstalling them with absolute 0 results

usually --> direct bsod with an error ati2dvag
if not direct --> flikker screen --> black screen --> pc restarts

Following errors

after reinstalling the ati drivers 50 times and then launching gta boots untill the game and then
http://kooola.ath.cx:1337/Crap/N95_555.jpg

when playing farcry 2 http://kooola.ath.cx:1337/Crap/N95_556.jpg

and all other games usuallly freeze and pc just restarts

1 time a managed it intoo GTA 4 and this happend http://kooola.ath.cx:1337/Crap/N95_558.jpg

when i run all games below in windowed mode there is absolute no crash @ all

only thing i notice then is that the card's second gpu is using 2-4% resources

and first 100% and the card's clock speed stays 507/500 while it is 750/900

i am about 2 give the card back and step over 2 Nvidia but i wanne give it another shot
and posting this around in forums hoping i find a sollution for my problem somewhere

KooolaNL any question or tips plz let me know n.boss@live.nl

Games i tested

Test drive unlimited --> doesnt even start @ all
Left 4 dead --> freezes when joining a server
Counter strike source --> freezes when spawning
Half life deathmatch --> when connected 2 server
Grand theft auto 4 --> after i load a save game
Farcry 2 --> when game starts
Need for speed undercover --> @ ea logo

i hope this problem is gonna be fixed soon

or ati is doing it wrong or i am doing it wrong

i see alot of problems on internet about this HD4870x2 Fullscreen problem freeze restart thingy

KooolaNL

its e8500 3.16ghz not oc
4gb OCZ 1066mhz
Asus p5q motherboard
Sapphire HD4870x2
600watt psu (olso had a 850watt while ago with same problem)

popcorn777

Distinguished
May 2, 2009
I had similar problems as KooolaNL until I upgraded to a quality 750 watt PSU. Now runs pretty well, I do not think thought that crossfire is all its cracked up to be and if I had to do it again I would of put the money into a single core card.
I am running the card on Vista Ultimate x64.

jason11

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2008
I own a 4850 x2.

-It worked fine when I used the 8.12 drivers, but the new 9.4 drivers screwed things up for me for some games. Since upgrading, I get massive distortion in some games (crysis, DiRT), none in others, and some minor distortions in GTA IV. Maybe the 9.5 drivers will help -- sure hope so.
When I bought it January, many reported problems with the drivers, but I didn't have any problems w/ the Sapphire drivers (ATI didn't start supporting this card until recently.)

-Koool - If the 2nd GPU isn't registering GPU activity when it should be, it means that you don't have crossfire enabled or the game you're playing doesn't support crossfire (which many don't.) I thought I had the same problem, but then checked it whilst playing Crysis and it was working fine.

-I get a lot of screen tearing and need to run Vsync on most any program (it's powerful enough to run Vsync w/o any noticeable drop in performance.) Not sure if this is a problem caused by the video card, however.

-I have a 750W Corsair PSU, and to my knowledge I have had no problems in relation to power.

-Positive: Overclocks well, runs pretty cool (usually in the 40's idle, 50s under load.)

If I had to do it over again, I would have just got a single card. The 4850 x2 will outperform the 4870 in games that support crossfire, but all in all, the 4850 isn't worth the extra cost. The new GTX 275 is about the same price as the 4850 X2, and if I were building a new system today, that'd probably be the card I'd go with.

mrbobc

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007
despite my intense hatred of sapphire, the 4850x2 is a very good card(if you get a working one!)

could play crysis (an warhead), farcry2, stalker CS and dirt all maxed out and didnt have a problem

i'm sure if you buy one you wont be disappointed (performance wise), however imo i found the gddr3 a bit limiting compared to gddr5 in the 4870/90s

Ciuy

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
try using 1 card only, see if it works, then use the other 1. maybe theres something wrong with 1 of the cards...

or is it a all in 1 4850X2 i didnt read all :D .

I always do this to test a card. See if it can run 3 3dmark06 tests 1 after another with the same results... if something is unnusual then the gpu is busted.

eventually, format , just install windows, drivers and 1 game and see if it does the same.

Also try using other drivers, 8 series or 9 . drivers for mobo to.

gl hope u solve ure issue