Sign in with
Your question

Failing Hard Drive Need Help!

Last response: in Storage
May 4, 2010 6:37:16 AM

heyal,

my drive is failing and at the moment failed, i can't access it though windows and bio's still see it. have been trying to access the drive to retrieve all my data with no luck.

does anyone know of a sure try at accessing the drive, it still running but can't see any sizes looks empty but i know better. it has bad sectors on it and getting the files off of it is extremely important and i can't afford the recovery services route.

am running windows xp sp2
2 sata 500gb hard drives 1x western digital which is failed and a seagate which is partitioned
6gb ram

any help would be greatly appreciated i'm in tears trying to figure this out.

thank you,
southern belle

More about : failing hard drive

Anonymous
a b G Storage
May 4, 2010 8:16:38 AM

hi Belle,

Last time when I got my external drive problem, I retrieved my files with this program http://www.icare-recovery.com/

It is free for download and it is a demo. It will scan and find your files before the pay. Actually to my point of view, never pay before the program really locates your files.

I know some guys can register it with free code by searching the internet. You can access one if you do not want to pay.

My experience and recommend: never touch the drive where you want to restore files. Or according to most experts, it may cause permernant data loss.
m
l
Related resources
May 7, 2010 3:14:55 AM

Quote:
hi Belle,

Last time when I got my external drive problem, I retrieved my files with this program http://www.icare-recovery.com/

It is free for download and it is a demo. It will scan and find your files before the pay. Actually to my point of view, never pay before the program really locates your files.

I know some guys can register it with free code by searching the internet. You can access one if you do not want to pay.

My experience and recommend: never touch the drive where you want to restore files. Or according to most experts, it may cause permernant data loss.

hi,

i'll try it, thanks for the information. i really need something that can access the drive itself, i'm waiting on a sata to usb converter i heard that this is a good way to access the files. hopefully it works and i'll try the icare program too.

thanks again!
m
l
May 7, 2010 3:16:21 AM

anonymous1 said:
Belle, Have you heard about the freezer trick? Some people swear that puting the hard drive in the freezer for 24 hours will give them 1/2 hour to recover their data... It did not work for me but who knows.
http://geeksaresexy.blogspot.com/2006/01/freeze-your-ha...

hi,

yes i did and tried it but it didn't work. thanks for the info tho. if you have any other ideas please let me know!

thanks again!
m
l
May 12, 2010 7:36:07 PM

if the drive is spinning up fine and no clicks sound. no point putting it in the freezer.

if your drive spin up fine (especially your old partition still can be detected as unknown partition) try read only software solutions 1st. such as

get data back
http://www.runtime.org/data-recovery-software.htm

if your drive doesn't spin up well and freezer did't work. it might be burnt chip. (try smell if there is any burnt odor)

m
l
May 14, 2010 3:08:06 AM

hi,

thank you for the response, the drive has bad sectors on it but i finally got the data.

i put the new pwr sup and case together and put all the drives back in and used easeus data recovery and did a full recovery, supprising it found the drive and the data so i most of it back! wooohooo :bounce: 

it just happened yesterday so i thought i would update those that were responding and following the thread!

thanks again for all the help! i can now either throw it away or keep it to get more data off of it. .....hate throwing computer stuff away, lol.

let me know if my solution is needed i think i explained it but i'll be willing to help if someone needs it!

southern belle
m
l
May 23, 2010 12:01:42 PM

nice to hear that. and remember, always change your hard drive every 2 years and leave the old as backup drive! normal drive has 3 years warranty and you want to be in a safe side.

the drive you often turn on and off will likely to be the first to turn you down.
m
l
May 23, 2010 11:31:22 PM

ctmk said:
nice to hear that. and remember, always change your hard drive every 2 years and leave the old as backup drive! normal drive has 3 years warranty and you want to be in a safe side.

the drive you often turn on and off will likely to be the first to turn you down.

hi,

thanks for the advice its a really good idea too, i'll remember that one!

thanks again! :love: 
m
l
!