How Do I Clean Out the OPEN WITH Context Menus?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

Hello.

I'm using Windows XP Pro with SP1.

I'd like to be able to clean out the OPEN WITH context submenus for
various file extensions. Furthermore, I'd like to do it manually,
without any freeware or third-party utilities.

Is this possible? If so, what's the procedure? Thank you!

To reply via e-mail, please remove
the number 3 from the reply address.
Thank you very much. J. Danniel

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

Clear Open-With entries:
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/OpenWith.htm

--
Ramesh - Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell

http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k
http://www.mvps.org

"Jack Danniel" <jd3jd@prodigy.net> wrote in message news:92ot60pdv4qpnrhn7nt1dstor7a95qqr6k@4ax.com...
Hello.

I'm using Windows XP Pro with SP1.

I'd like to be able to clean out the OPEN WITH context submenus for
various file extensions. Furthermore, I'd like to do it manually,
without any freeware or third-party utilities.

Is this possible? If so, what's the procedure? Thank you!

To reply via e-mail, please remove
the number 3 from the reply address.
Thank you very much. J. Danniel

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

This still leaves me with several entries.

For example, the HTM extension still has Internet Explorer, Notepad,
and WordPad listed. How do I get rid of them, as well?

>Clear Open-With entries:
>http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/OpenWith.htm

To reply via e-mail, please remove
the number 3 from the reply address.
Thank you very much. J. Danniel

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

Check here as well: [for HTM files]
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.htm\OpenWithList]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\text\OpenWithList]
NOTE: 'This key applies to all the file-extensions with perceived type 'text'. HTM is also a 'text' type. Deleting the OpenWithList here affects all file-extensions which are termed as 'text'. To change for HTM alone, mail me.

Always backup the registry key before deleting.
See http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/registry.htm

--
Ramesh - Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell

http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k
http://www.mvps.org

"Jack Danniel" <jd3jd@prodigy.net> wrote in message news:rg4v60ds7cbckheeur3mrco12b54t67lhg@4ax.com...
This still leaves me with several entries.

For example, the HTM extension still has Internet Explorer, Notepad,
and WordPad listed. How do I get rid of them, as well?

>Clear Open-With entries:
>http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/OpenWith.htm

To reply via e-mail, please remove
the number 3 from the reply address.
Thank you very much. J. Danniel

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

I'll give this info a try on Monday and follow-up with results. Thank
you for replying! Jd

>Check here as well: [for HTM files]
>[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.htm\OpenWithList]
>
>[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\text\OpenWithList]
>NOTE: 'This key applies to all the file-extensions with perceived type 'text'. HTM is also a 'text' type. Deleting the OpenWithList here affects all file-extensions which are termed as 'text'. To change for HTM alone, mail me.
>
>Always backup the registry key before deleting.
>See http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/registry.htm

To reply via e-mail, please remove
the number 3 from the reply address.
Thank you very much. J. Danniel