CPU to go with ASROCK MOBO

NeilV

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
Hi All :kaola: :kaola:
I would if anyone can tell me how this works, I have just bought an ASROCK Mobo,
4CORE1600TWINS-P35, don't know if this helps, can't get the ASROCK website to work @ the Moment :sarcastic:

I know it will support Dual & Quad core because that was why I bought it but I also bought Kingston HyperX DDR2 800Mhz RAM. Does this mean I can only buy a CPU that runs @ 800 FSB not 1066 or 1333? I know that there are multipliers involved in the timeing somewhere but I have never seen mention of going from 1066 back down to 800 for the RAM.

Or am I being really DIM. :pfff: :pfff: Sorry, couldn't resist that one. But this is a serious question as I am just about to order a CPU to go with all the other bits I have purchased.

If you are interested in the other parts, I have another post around here which details it! or that is me being lazy, just reply and I'll list them.

Thanks in Advance

Neil V :D :D

NeilV

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
Thanks for that. :D

I thought I was being really clever & then realise there might be a flaw in my plan.

I'm running the FSB @ 210 Mhz @ the moment cos I have a P4 650 running @ 3.67 Ghz approx. I used to have the P4 @ 4.01Ghz in my old MOBO but was not sure if the arctic silver on the CPU was sufficient. :pfff: :pfff:

Any suggestions on what CPU to get, I'm limited in that I have a credit voucher but my options seem to be;

Core2Duo E4500 (2.2Ghz)
Core2Duo E6300 (1.86Ghz)
Core2Duo E6320 (1.86Ghz)
Core2Duo E6400 (2.13Ghz)
Core2Duo E6550 (2.33GHz)

Last one will be a stretch to my budget & I'm not sure which one would be the best value, I have a well ventilated case and an Arctic Cooler which although cheap has done me V. well on the P4.

I appreciate any help you can give me. :D :D

Neil V

NeilV

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006

To be perfectly honest, I took the components from my old rig in to a computer exchange shop & got a credit note which is why I'm limited to only the chips they have available @ the prices they set. :( But it does mean I can get a dual core to last me until my next influx of money, when I will get a good quad.

I mainly game, encode & surf but I am a developer by trade so may want to develop in .NET, SQLSERVER even some VB6. Also now that I have a 22" screen I may watch DVD's &/or Blu-rays (when I get the Blu-Ray drive. :lol: )

Thanks for your help!

Neil V