Help! Totally New! Will this build work???

1fast8

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
Hey, i dont know much about computers and i will be buying a new computer by the end of this week.
I was just wondering if you guys can help me with this build. I'm ordering from ibuypower.com because it seems to be the most affordable and all. I will mainly be using this pc for Gaming, Music, Movies, Browsing the Web etc.
I want to be able to play World of Warcraft on it as well as the newer games coming out (starcrat 2, diablo 3), but i still want it to be able to hold my music and my work. Help is appreciated. I would like to stay within the $1,000 budget give or take a couple hundred more.

1) Nzxt Alpha Gaming Tower Case w/420W Power Supply Black
2) Power Supply 600 Watt -- Power Supply SLI Ready
3) [=== Quad Core ===] Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q6600 (4x 2.4GHz/8MB L2 Cache/1066FSB)
4) [=== Quiet ===] AVC Silent Intel CPU Fan and Heatsink Quiet & Overclocking Proof
5)[SLI] Asus P5N-D Nvidia nForce 750i SLI Chipset w/7.1 Sound, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, IEEE-1394, Dual PCI-E MB EPU Technology
6) 4 GB [2 GB X2] DDR2-800 PC6400 Memory Module Corsair-Value or Major Brand More Options
Corsair-Value or Major Brand
7) The graphics card is what got me. I really need help for this part. Currently i have selected the 2x NVIDIA Geforce 8800GTS 640MB w/ DVI+tv out video - running SLI mode. I Don't know if i should get a single 8 series or a 9 series or a dual.
8)Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA
9)2x 500 GB Harddrive
10)[** Special !!! ***] LG 20X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive
11)Creative Lab Sound Blaster Audigy SE
12)600W PMPO 3 PCS Super Bass Subwoofer Speaker System
13)Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100
14) 24" Widescreen TFT LCD Monitor [Black] or Sceptre 24" LCD 16:9 Wide Screen HDTV Video & PC Monitor Support Resolution 1920x1200 [Black]?
15) Should i get the Professional Wiring for cables inside the system tower?
16) Should i get any Power Protection?

1fast8

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
thanks for the help but.....i'm guessing i have to build this myself =?...I was hoping to order it from a website that builds it for me :p. Is there a way you can help me fix it from the ibuypower website?

1fast8

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
it is cheaper, but i don't want to go through the headache of building one by myself (i have never done it before)

Well if you don't want to build it yourself then use the setup proximon gave you and set up something similar on ibuypower.com, but of course you're going to spend a little more than 1k even if you lower the CPU to a 7200. At least buy the monitor, keyboard, and mouse separately since you can get them cheaper than what ibuypower will charge you and you have to hook those up yourself anyway ^_^

kubes

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2008
A lot of people are afaird of building their own pc. I can agree that the setup Proximon gave you is a very good build and all the parts are comptable. It is truely a fun adventure to build your first PC. Yes its scary but the amount of money you save and the satisfaction you get saying I built this is worth it alone. There are lots of vidoes and walkthroughs on how to build a PC. Just google it and watch a few. Maybe even look inside your current computer and determine if you can start idenifing the parts that are within it and what they do.