Sign in with
Your question

Having problems after installing Intel Core 2 Duo E8500?

Last response: in Motherboards
March 28, 2009 5:31:22 AM

Hi guys,

I am in need of some advice, i have just boughted and installed a Intel Core 2 Duo and Zalman Heatsink onto my Asus P5E Deluxe mainboard on friday just gone but now i am having some problems and i am not sure what the problem is and i am hoping that someone may be able to help me work out what it is.

So i got home and started installing my new cpu and heat sink, was nothing new to me, just put on heat sink mount and put in cpu then put on the thermal grease then put the Zalman heat sink onto it reconected everything and put back into my case then plug it all back up again and turned the computer on. started up fine came to the bios msg and said "Unknow CPU detected, Update bios to unlock its full power!" then under that said F1 to Run Setup or F2 to load default settings. Not knowing what would happen if i ran the setup i selected load default values.

At this time all was running fine and i had taken note the line about updating my bios so i jumped on the Asus website adn found the bios update that i needed and that there was a programme on my disc that came with my mainboard which had a called Asus Updater, this program downloads and installs the latest bios for you all in one easy program.

So with abit of aprehention since i have never updated a bios before or seen it done, i ran this program and it downloaded the new bios then installed it, it all went fine to my knowledge it deletted the old EPROM then installed the new one, after this it verified that it had all work which it had.

Now to the problem when ever i have to restart my computer i cant. It will turn off then go to boot up again but my screen does not come on or my keyboard lights up and my mouse doesnt light up either. But, if i turn off my computer then disconnect the power adn take out the bios battery then put it back in then reconnect the computer to then power and tunr it on it will boot up again no worrys but says the whole, "Unknow CPU Detected, F1 to run setup or F2 to load default settings.

Know i have been looking around and i think i migth have killed my bios, seems it is very easy to do, but since i can turn my computer on again if i reset it by removing the battery i think it might be something else and that i may be able to fix it.

If anyone can help me with this that would be very muchly apriciated as i am hoping i dont have to buy a new mainboard.

Thanks alot for any help.

Cameron
a b V Motherboard
March 28, 2009 4:50:43 PM

After you install update the BIOS you need to "Load Defaults" in order to get the correct default settings for everything. If you don't do that, then you're still running with settings from the old BIOS, which may not be the same on the new BIOS and that can cause all sorts of problems.
!