Sign in with
Your question
Solved

VGA Cooling-Which is the best way?

Last response: in Overclocking
April 1, 2010 5:39:13 AM

So I am tring to figure out what I should do as far as cooling goes with the card I am going to get. I plan on getting the 5870, and there might be a slight chance that I get the 5850. So either way I am checking out the best for both. My first thought was just buying one of the suped up reference cards, like the DirectCu Asus 5850, or the 5870 Matrix, but I dont know how much they are going to cost.
And my second option is getting an aftermarket vga cooler, and putting it on a reference card. Liquid Cooling is to much money for me right now.

If anyone has any suggestions or recommendations please let me know. I have checked out some of them but most of the ones I found were if your only going to have card. I need to be able to setup 3 way CFX.

More about : vga cooling

a c 86 K Overclocking
April 1, 2010 6:25:05 AM

Aftermarket air cooling for Xfire x3 don't work. You need more space between cards for airflow and the massive air heatsinks. Not gonna happen.

Go with a tech station and have a few extra fans blowing on the cards. Learn to live with the noise.

Tri xfire? Why? Your money..............

To watercool 3 GPUs full coverage, the blocks alone is over $400 for modern cards. Add another $300 for rads pumps and reses.

Air cooling Tri SLI? Get used to the noise.
m
l

Best solution

April 1, 2010 8:00:14 AM

Maybe money is not an issue to him... :lol: 

OP, like conumdrum said, there aint n aftermarket cooler that will work with 5xxx series card. All you need is to ensure that there is enough space between them and then maybe place a 120/140mm turbo fan (vertically) next to them. Thats what i heplped a friend do with his 5770 xfire. Works just fine.

:D 
Related resources
April 1, 2010 8:50:23 AM

another thing, for me using 5870 card,
i've tried to use an after market cooler for my card but didnt achieve low temps
the stock cooler performs better than aftermaket coolers for this card, for example in my case!
waana seethe difference!?
for the stock cooler running 50% fan speed can reach 67c in 5 minutes furmark
the aftermarket cooler reaches 92c on gpu and 130c on vrm's!!

now i'm using the EK FULL COVER water block on it!!

temps never reach 45c man!!

so if u want tri xfire, go for LQ,

better temps,, nice rig too
m
l
April 1, 2010 9:37:50 AM

maurick said:
another thing, for me using 5870 card,
i've tried to use an after market cooler for my card but didnt achieve low temps
the stock cooler performs better than aftermaket coolers for this card, for example in my case!
waana seethe difference!?
for the stock cooler running 50% fan speed can reach 67c in 5 minutes furmark
the aftermarket cooler reaches 92c on gpu and 130c on vrm's!!

now i'm using the EK FULL COVER water block on it!!

temps never reach 45c man!!

so if u want tri xfire, go for LQ,

better temps,, nice rig too

Do yo know where i van get one for my 5770? I only seem to find the GTX ones. :sweat: 
m
l
April 1, 2010 9:55:02 AM

if you are looking for water block i found this
http://www.ekwaterblocks.com/shop/blocks/vga-blocks/ati...

for air i've heard that arctic cooling have some that will fit on ur card, also t rad2!!

if i were u , i would leave the stock cooler cause it performs better than after market air coolers!!
m
l
April 1, 2010 10:05:37 AM

Indeed there are not that many choices on aftermarket coolers with the 5xxx series radeons. But there are a few cards in the 5870 series that have custom coolers. Notably the Sapphire 5870 Vapor-X which achieves somewhat lower temperatures and noise than the basic retail cooler.
Here's one test article but you might want to look around yourself for some more reviews:
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-r...

Still even with this custom cooled card running a tri x-fire it would propably be best to add some extra coolers to improve the airflow.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
April 1, 2010 9:05:29 PM

the scythe setsugen offers excellent cooling and is low profile enough that you can still crossfire:

http://www.testseek.com/computers/cooling/scythe_setsug...

and despite what other have said, it does work with 5 series cards. there are other compatible coolers too, but from my research the setsugen is probably the best, but definitely the only choice if you want to crossfire.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
April 1, 2010 9:44:20 PM

Imo, you pretty much need a WCing set up if you'r going for Tri CrossFire at cool temps (no pun intended). What I really don't get is, OP can afford a Tri CrossFire, but not a WCing loop? I'll never understand....
m
l
April 8, 2010 1:00:28 AM

Well I have considered a WC setup, but I have never had one so I would need to read a lot before I do anything like that.
As far as my case goes, if I get the the cm 692 Advanced which is the one i like, with the optional side panel, I would have the 120mm from the panel, one 80mm on the vga bracket, and then I plan on buying a pci slot fan to go on the 8th slot on the case, so that would be anywhere from 3-5 fans just blowing at the side of the cards.

With the WC on frozencpu they sell blocks for about 100, so maybe I can invest in a water setup down the road when I start buying more cards.
I want the Asus 5870 and maybe once I get my rig going I can get a WC loop for my card, and then also my cpu.
I am probably going to get the 212+ cause it has been recommended by several people on toms, and it seems to get just as good results as
cpu coolers that cost 70+.
Well I will probably just get some extra cooling in the case, I will have plenty focusing on the cards from the side to the front, and I will possibly mod and rig me up a couple more!
m
l
a c 86 K Overclocking
April 8, 2010 2:19:05 AM

Salt-City_Slasher said:
Well I have considered a WC setup, but I have never had one so I would need to read a lot before I do anything like that.
As far as my case goes, if I get the the cm 692 Advanced which is the one i like, with the optional side panel, I would have the 120mm from the panel, one 80mm on the vga bracket, and then I plan on buying a pci slot fan to go on the 8th slot on the case, so that would be anywhere from 3-5 fans just blowing at the side of the cards.

With the WC on frozencpu they sell blocks for about 100, so maybe I can invest in a water setup down the road when I start buying more cards.
I want the Asus 5870 and maybe once I get my rig going I can get a WC loop for my card, and then also my cpu.
I am probably going to get the 212+ cause it has been recommended by several people on toms, and it seems to get just as good results as
cpu coolers that cost 70+.
Well I will probably just get some extra cooling in the case, I will have plenty focusing on the cards from the side to the front, and I will possibly mod and rig me up a couple more!

Running 3 cards in a case means you better have an awesome case and will need to replace all the case fans with better ones.

Watercooling for those three cards will cost you upwards of $700. And forget about putting the CPU in that loop, you'll need another $250 minimum for the CPU. Two seperate loops. Watercooling is a lot of fun, more complex and lots mre money for sometime questionable gains. It is a wholly different animal and does take ohh a few months of reading forums (not just this one daily), reading all the links and stickies proffered you you as learning tools on the many availible forums. But it's very very neat. I'll submit my rig as an example.

http://www.overclockers.com/annual-water-cooling-cleani...
m
l
April 8, 2010 3:07:22 AM

Yeah WC is a future project for sure, I have spent a month just reading about cpu air coolers and I still have second thoughts on the 212+.
I do want to save money but I think I will probably buy one of the Hexys with a 890FX board preferably the crosshair 4 extreme or the 890FX-GD70.
But I am not buying for a couple of months anyway so I still have all the time in the world to choose the right parts. I have thought about just buying now, but I know waiting is going to be worth it.

Yeah some people question how effective WC is but obviously if you have cheap system like the H50 compared to a system that costs 500, the 500$ system is probably get the best results period, short of dry ice and other over the hill stuff. But WC is normal to me, I just have never done it.
So I will start from the links and spending a couple of months just reading and reading and eventually I will figure out what I WC setup I want.

With my case I love the CM 692 Advanced, but then I also really really love the HAF-X and LanBoy. From what the HAf-X alrady has to what they plan on doing with it before release, it is going to be insane.
If you watch the videos, next to the pci slots on the haf X there are two holes and those two holes are the same on the Cm 692, its where the vga bracket holds the cards. But what I read was that the HAFX is suppose to be a super mix between the AMD edtion HAF 932 and the CM 692 Advanced.
And from what I saw it is. The only thing is the 692 has a lot of places for WC and modding. The Lanboy is just insane I could put what ever the hell I want in it also.
m
l
a c 86 K Overclocking
April 8, 2010 5:04:57 AM

Don't forget Mountain Mods for cases. Few at Toms even heard of them. When it comes to room for your future plans, I can't think of anything else.

Forget budget, they rock for real big proper cases.

m
l
April 8, 2010 6:53:12 AM

Yeah I can check them out, Asus finally released the directCu 5850, and I read a review and it was only behind the 5870 by a small margin, and thats at stock. The V2 is 110$ more, and the 5850 dCU is only 320 and with a small OC of 10% can put it nearly right below it. I was just wondering if you thought if the extra 110 is worth going for the 5870? With the OC program I could pass the 5870, but if I get a 5870 I could do the same and crank it beyond anything the 5850 can do. So what do you think, I can give you the link, it was a good review, and I thought I could save some cash, even in a CF-X review and benchmark both reference cards were pretty much the same with the 5870 bring always slightly ahead.

So let me know what you think!

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/EAH_5850_TOP_Di...

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ATI/Radeon_HD_5870_C...
m
l
a b K Overclocking
April 8, 2010 3:07:17 PM

You might want to consider a single 5970. You only need a single waterblock for the card but it has the performance of two 5870s.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
April 8, 2010 4:10:53 PM

Conumdrum said:
Don't forget Mountain Mods for cases. Few at Toms even heard of them. When it comes to room for your future plans, I can't think of anything else.

Forget budget, they rock for real big proper cases.

+1 for Mountain Mods. They got a lot of stuff for case modding,etc. For example: Drive bays.
m
l
April 8, 2010 4:24:46 PM

Shadow703793 said:
+1 for Mountain Mods. They got a lot of stuff for case modding,etc. For example: Drive bays.

WTF.. You mean you can mod drive bays?? [:lectrocrew:7] WTH for?
m
l
April 8, 2010 8:05:31 PM

Those cases are crazy, I have not seen that much of a selection of cool WC rigs. I am more into the towers and they still had some but with 4 120mm on the top, those cases are a WCers dream :o 
m
l
June 10, 2010 6:51:21 AM

Mountain mods ALL THE WAY !!!!!!. I just started my current build on the plans of a MOuntain Mod Case. Check out my build and watch one of these beutiful thing grown in to something sweet
m
l
!