Why do custom build sites always rip you off?

liam11

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
Hi Guys,
I'm kinda new at building, having overclocked a few things and replaced bits in old machines before, but never scratch built one. I want to buy a gaming rig and build it myself, as it's far cheaper, but to be honest, a lot of my previous computers in the last few years have been paid by my company, I'm a few years behind on upgrading and buying bits......

I have a fair knowledge and I've been hunting the various custom build companies websites to get a handle on what parts they use and why.

I have found the fairly ridiculous build that I want to start with at a base, and am happy to up/down grade to save cost or improve preformance, but I cant believe that using a customise site that this machine is like, 10000USD!

I understand that the latest model components spike in price, but can I get basically the same level of performance on a big LCD screen (my tv 48 inches) with little or no degradation. I am happy to overclock and liquid cool, but I have no experience overclocking or liquid cooling performance machines, only junkie old pentium 4's

Thanks for the help!

Specifications:
Processor: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 965 3.2GHz
Motherboard: ASUS Rampage II Extreme (Intel X58 Chipset) (Supports Triple SLI or CrossFire)
System Memory: 12GB DDR3 1800MHz Corsair Dominator DHX
Power Supply: 1000W Corsair HX (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible)
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 80GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model: SSDSA2MH080G1C5)
Set 1 Raid Options: Configure Hard Drive Set 1 in a Raid 0 Stripe
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 300GB Western Digital VelociRaptor (10K RPM) (16MB Cache)
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: 1TB Western Digital (7200 RPM) (16MB Cache)
Optical Drive 1: Blu-Ray Writer/Reader (Burn Blu-Ray discs and play them) Optical Drive 2: DVD±R/RW/CD-R/RW
Internet Access: Bigfoot Killer Network Card
Video Card: 3x SLI Triple (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 280 1GB)
Add-on Card: Ageia High-Performance PhysX Card P1 128MB
Sound Card: Asus Xonar D2X (PCI-Express Slot Based)
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 3: High-Performance Liquid Cooled System For CPU & Three Video Cards
Chassis Airflow: Upgrade Chassis With LED Performance Fans
NVIDIA Enthusiast System Architecture (ESA) System
Overclock the processor as much as possible with complete stability
Boost Video Card: Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability
Boost Memory: Yes, Overclock memory frequency (Includes Memory Fan Kit Installed)
Surge Shield: APC 1300VA Uninterruptible Backup Surge Conditioner
Warranty: 3 Year Platinum Care Extended Parts & Labor Warranty

They charge alot of money because they put effort into building it. If you don't think their effort is worth that much then build it yourself. Otherwise pay them ^_^. You can always find someone to build it cheaper, but like a mechanic you never know if that guys really good, or really crappy, and if it's just some guy there isn't anyone else for you to yell at if something goes wrong :D.

V3NOM

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
lol one question: could you get anything more expensive? :lol: physx card is a waste... you can dedicate that third gtx 280 (which runs on a x8 slot on the X58 anyway :O) purely to PhysX with the new 180 WHQL drivers...

oh btw GTX 280's are probly better at physx than that old 128mb physx card anyway... and they cost so much! but seriously man, that is an epic waste of money. for half that money you could get something that would perform like 10% worse!

bdcrlsn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
12GB of RAM? A solid-state drive and a Velocirator? Seems like you're building NASA's super computer or you just wanna run 500 applications at the same time. Definite overkill.

daskrabbe

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2008
I'm not happy with the build. You should add a mouse with diamond buttons. Maybe a picture of you peeing on starving kids in Africa, something like that.

aznguy0028

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
with a machine that cost 10,000$, i better be able to put a steering wheels on it, give it gas, and make it take me places. geez. epic waste of money indeed.

i bet you anything, with just 4-5k, many of us here would be able to build a machine that is pretty close to performance with that thing without all the extra crap you don't need. actually, most of us here overclocks our PC anyways, so we would be able to exceed 3.2ghz on the i7 with the cheaper models.

let me point some out real quick.

bigfoot network card? U SERIOUS? 199$??? i'll tell you what this does for you, in a few sentences.

it gives you roughly 5-8ms LESS PING when you're gaming online. and this is only for serious gamers, which whom are professional, which whom gets it for free from sponsors, whom doesn't waste their own money.

physx card? you serious again? good luck finding all 3 games that support it.

Asus Xonar D2X??? 199$?? unless you're going for ultra high quality uber home theater quality sound, the realtek sound on new mobo's nowadays is way more than enough.

3rd GTX280? it's basically a useless piece of hardware in tri-sli. the gain you go from 2x GTX280 to 3x is so minuscule it doesn't even justify the 3rd wasted card.

crystal_tech

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2007
well if your going with nvidia drop the physix card. The video cards have that tech built in and i'm pretty sure if your running a tri-sli you will block all the ports to the pci. You also prob want to add some 5in bay psu's just to make sure you have the juice to power it. also if your running that much make sure your outlet where you plug in at doesn't fry/pop your breakers. You will also prob want to think of external cooling for the room is going in. that sucker will be a space heater lol.

V3NOM

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
^... unless he made it pure physx card... not that i agree with the idea. thank you for highlighting concisely the bloatware that he thinks he should get :lol: