Sign in with
Your question

A Disk Read Error Occured. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart

Last response: in Storage
May 4, 2010 10:12:52 AM

A Disk Read Error Occured. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart

im trying to fix this since january 2010

i try to install fresh OS but its always same error after 1 day or half day or 2 hours

tried with 3 HD drive same error, change sata vable power supply but still same error

im tired of formatting it or repair in recovery because i know that it will give me same error after i installed fresh OS or reapair in recovery

do we have perfect solution on this problem.

please tell me what is exact problem of this computer

im a newbie in computer trouble shooting and start learned to format and repair in recovery last april

i also have search in forum and to our uncle google tried and apply what they say but im always falied like others facing this problem

asrock Intel (R) core (TM) 2 Duo CPU E7500 @ 2.93GHz 1.99 GB of RAM
Anonymous
a b G Storage
May 4, 2010 12:21:51 PM

The message implies a hard drive problem but you have tried other drives. So must look to hard drive controller or how it's set up in the BIOS.

Try selecting the BIOS option for a default or safe setting for all BIOS controls -- and see if the problem goes away. If it does, change relevant settings one at a time until the problem returns or continues to abate, that should help guide you to the correct setting.

I would also look to the motherboard maker's site for a fresh download of the driver set, possibly looking for newer ones on the chipset maker's website.
m
l
May 4, 2010 3:12:49 PM

where i can find that in bios?

in smart tab this is what its saying

its saying default

load bios default
load performance setup default IDE/SATA
load power saving setup default

am i correct?

save and exit?

what will i do next?

sorry for my english if im wrong grammar, very hard for me to explain and answer in english

please understand
m
l
Related resources
a c 127 G Storage
May 4, 2010 3:25:39 PM

Access the drive SMART data and look for:

- CURRENT PENDING SECTOR
- UDMA CRC ERROR COUNT

If those aren't zero, your drive has troubles.

You can check the SMART data with any of the 2000 utilities available to hundreds of operating systems; google for something that works for you. A commonly used application is HDTune for Windows or SmartMonTools for Linux.

Good luck.
m
l
May 4, 2010 3:45:49 PM

how can i access the drive smart when i select load bios default, its saying ok and cancel

- CURRENT PENDING SECTOR / - UDMA CRC ERROR COUNT i cant see this two messages in smart drive?
m
l
Anonymous
a b G Storage
May 4, 2010 4:11:17 PM

"load bios default
load power saving setup default"

Select the first one.
m
l
a c 127 G Storage
May 4, 2010 4:16:34 PM

If you cannot boot into a Windows environment to test your disk you can try booting an Ubuntu livecd and check the disk there. The BIOS won't give you SMART output capacity; it only sets to default enable/disable SMART on harddrives.

So to use the Ubuntu method:
1. download ubuntu from ubuntu.com
2. burn to cd
3. boot the pc with the cd and select "Try out ubuntu" when prompted.
4. Click Applications->Accessories->Terminal, a window will open
5. enter "sudo apt-get install smartmontools" and hit enter. You need an internet connection at this point.
6. Once the smartmontools package is installed, you can get the SMART info with this command:
sudo smartctl -a /dev/sda

Then look for UDMA_CRC_ERROR_COUNT and CURRENT_PENDING_SECTOR in the SMART output and look for the raw value of these properties. They should both be zero or your drive has issues which you would need to fix first.
m
l
May 5, 2010 6:23:14 AM

Quote:
"load bios default
load power saving setup default"

Select the first one.

i select the load bios default and my observation was failed same error i have

tried to fix again in recovery

Run CHKDSK , run FIXBOOT , run FIXMBR and no error found and exit

again i only try to install yahoo messenger and result in hang and restart and same error again

my first diagnose is HD, and now my suspect is MOBO

can i ask to the management of company where did i buy this cpu for a replacement of MOBO

we buy this since december 2009, at janaury 2010 we find out this error

we ask for a HD replacement coz i think it was in the HD or sata cable they accept my complaint to replace a HD but im wrong

do i have to argue again in manager and the computer technician in company for replacing MOBO
m
l
Anonymous
a b G Storage
May 5, 2010 8:41:19 AM

First try downloading fresh driver pack and -- if available, new BIOS for the motherboard. Be very careful to follow the instructions when reflashing the BIOS.
m
l
May 5, 2010 9:59:55 AM

I browse to asrock support but i cant find the G3IM-S driver wich indicated or written on motherboard

also tried to browse to our uncle google but i cant find ID same as mine in the mother board to download and install a fresh copy of OS to my MOBO
m
l
May 5, 2010 9:15:15 PM

try a different sata port on your motherboard to connect your hard drive.. its possible that the sata port failed.
m
l
Anonymous
a b G Storage
February 3, 2011 9:11:54 AM

@sub mesa: can you help me fix the issues that you say if the count is more then 0 then you need to fix the issues. Any idea how to fix those
m
l
June 14, 2011 4:12:51 PM

sub mesa said:
If you cannot boot into a Windows environment to test your disk you can try booting an Ubuntu livecd and check the disk there. The BIOS won't give you SMART output capacity; it only sets to default enable/disable SMART on harddrives.

So to use the Ubuntu method:
1. download ubuntu from ubuntu.com
2. burn to cd
3. boot the pc with the cd and select "Try out ubuntu" when prompted.
4. Click Applications->Accessories->Terminal, a window will open
5. enter "sudo apt-get install smartmontools" and hit enter. You need an internet connection at this point.
6. Once the smartmontools package is installed, you can get the SMART info with this command:
sudo smartctl -a /dev/sda

Then look for UDMA_CRC_ERROR_COUNT and CURRENT_PENDING_SECTOR in the SMART output and look for the raw value of these properties. They should both be zero or your drive has issues which you would need to fix first.

Hi....if i dont have a zero value in the outpt of UDMA_CRC_ERROR_COUNT and CURRENT_PENDING_SECTOR output then how to fix the problem next...please guide me on this as i have the same problem...cant even getting a chance to load a fresh OS because of this.
m
l
November 8, 2011 1:46:44 AM

Woohoo! Method 1 listed in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931760 worked for me!

The fix was easier than I'd expected, since the trouble was with BIOS settings. I changed the BIOS settings to UDMA (I'm using an old ATA/IDE HDD). I'd wasted my time earlier, formatting the HDD several times.

Rahul
m
l
July 26, 2012 6:42:22 PM

This error came up for me on a Dell Vostro 220s. The solution for this case:

New power supply

Yeah - didn't make a lot of sense, but after spending hours trying to figure it out, I figured I'd try to save some other people the time. While the Dell techs were no help, the Dell forum that clued me in was here: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3...
m
l
October 11, 2012 1:04:46 AM

I have a Dell Inspiron 9300 and I replaced the power supply but still have the same issue. Help!
m
l
!