ZAURUS vs. PALM?

June 4, 2005 3:47:30 PM

Which is Better?

The Zaurus Models with Keyboard or the PALM TUNGSTEN C?

I can't decide between the two.

I NEED:

Keyboard
Battery-Life
Voice Recording
Word Editting

Overall Quality

> Posted thru AtlantisNews - Explore EVERY Newsgroup <
> http://www.AtlantisNews.com -- Lightning Fast!!! <
> Access the Most Content * No Limits * Best Service <

More about : zaurus palm

Anonymous
June 4, 2005 8:39:34 PM

On Sat, 04 Jun 2005 11:47:30 -0500, Lokie wrote:
> Which is Better?
> The Zaurus Models with Keyboard or the PALM TUNGSTEN C?
>
> I can't decide between the two.

I have the Zaurus SLC-760 (the clamshell, laptop-like Zaurus) and the
Tungsten C.

> Keyboard

No real differences between either.

> Battery-Life

Zaurus battery life is poor compaired to the Tungsten C.

You can mitigate that with 3rd party battery add ons. I have one that you
can plug a 9v battery into the AC adaptor port on the Zaurus to
recharge/power it in an emergency.

> Voice Recording

Never used on either. But the TC needs a special headset for this.

> Word Editting

No real difference.
On the TC: Docs2Go works fine. WordSmith handles .rtf files.
On the Zaurus: HancomWord works fine.

> Overall Quality

About the same. I've never really had problems with either. Both
are very reliable units.

It comes down to what you want:
Do you want a palm-sized laptop? Then the Zaurus is the choice.
Do you want a PDA that can do word processing? Then the Tungsten C is the
choice.

But keep in mind that the rumor is that Palm is going to discontinue the
Tungsten C.
Anonymous
June 4, 2005 9:25:02 PM

On or about Sat, 04 Jun 2005 17:47:30 +0100, someone claiming to be Lokie
<none@none.noe> permuted the language to say:

> Which is Better?
>
> The Zaurus Models with Keyboard or the PALM TUNGSTEN C?
>
> I can't decide between the two.
>

> I NEED:
>
> Keyboard
> Battery-Life
> Voice Recording
> Word Editting
>
> Overall Quality

I can't give a comparison but on the T|C:

1) thumb-board is excellent. I use it frequently and heavily
2) Battery life is pretty good. On anything approaching normal use I can
easily go all day without a top-up. If I hammer it (e.g. 4 hour meeting,
taking notes all through so no sleep-mode at all), it'll go for about 4
hours. A lunch-breal trickle feed will get me to the end of the day.
3) never used voice
4) Word editing. DocsToGo is excellent.

--
Words
http://www.permuted.org.uk

Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client (even for mail!)
+ Palm Tungsten C
June 7, 2005 12:07:52 AM

I would strongly recommend trying the two devices before you decide to
buy either one. Human factors elements, such as the keyboard, can be
very important, but are very personal.

The Tungsten | C has the best keyboard I have ever used on a PDA, and
is as good as the keyboards on the old HP 95/100/200 LX series
palmtops. The keys are well placed and have good feedback, spacing,
relief, and travel. I was not as happy with the keyboards on the
Zaurus models that I've had a chance to play with, but that is a
somewhat personal decision, I think, and I have had more time to use a
Tungsten | C as I use it everyday.

The battery life on the Tungsten | C is excellent, and there is plenty
of software available for editing Word documents. I am not familiar
with the battery life on the various Zaurus models, but I am sure that
there is plenty of software available for editing documents as well.

But the Tungsten | C does not include an internal microphone ---
definitely something I would consider a design flaw. The super-mini
(2.5mm) audio jack on the top of the Tungsten | C, however, can accept
a microphone input (such as from a miniture headset microphone that you
might use with a cellular telephone) and you can record voice using
that. In lieu of a headset/microphone on a cord, you may also be able
to use a bud microphone with a 2.5mm jack. These are fairly uncommon,
but InSync makes a "Buddy S-25 Microphone" that should fit the bill.

http://www.ngtvoice.com/products/hardware/microphones/i...

Another alternative is to have an internal microphone installed in the
Tungsten | C. A company called Audacity Audio at least used to offer
this service. Although I don't see it on their current webpage it was
available here, and you could write to them to see if they still
provide this service.

http://web.archive.org/web/20041015180238/www.audiost.c...

I think the Tungsten | C is a great device. To see whether it looks
like the right device for you, I encourage you to read my more complete
review:

http://sam.lipoff.org/palmpilot/whichpalm.html#tungsten...

Best wishes,

--Sam Lipoff
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 4:14:28 AM

In article <1118113672.570265.123590@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
"Sam Lipoff" <lipoff@gmail.com> wrote:

> I would strongly recommend trying the two devices before you decide to
> buy either one. Human factors elements, such as the keyboard, can be
> very important, but are very personal.
>
> The Tungsten | C has the best keyboard I have ever used on a PDA, and
> is as good as the keyboards on the old HP 95/100/200 LX series
> palmtops. The keys are well placed and have good feedback, spacing,
> relief, and travel. I was not as happy with the keyboards on the
> Zaurus models that I've had a chance to play with, but that is a
> somewhat personal decision, I think, and I have had more time to use a
> Tungsten | C as I use it everyday.
>
> The battery life on the Tungsten | C is excellent, and there is plenty
> of software available for editing Word documents. I am not familiar
> with the battery life on the various Zaurus models, but I am sure that
> there is plenty of software available for editing documents as well.
>
> But the Tungsten | C does not include an internal microphone ---
> definitely something I would consider a design flaw. The super-mini
> (2.5mm) audio jack on the top of the Tungsten | C, however, can accept
> a microphone input (such as from a miniture headset microphone that you
> might use with a cellular telephone) and you can record voice using
> that. In lieu of a headset/microphone on a cord, you may also be able
> to use a bud microphone with a 2.5mm jack. These are fairly uncommon,
> but InSync makes a "Buddy S-25 Microphone" that should fit the bill.
>
> http://www.ngtvoice.com/products/hardware/microphones/i...
>
> Another alternative is to have an internal microphone installed in the
> Tungsten | C. A company called Audacity Audio at least used to offer
> this service. Although I don't see it on their current webpage it was
> available here, and you could write to them to see if they still
> provide this service.
>
> http://web.archive.org/web/20041015180238/www.audiost.c...
>
> I think the Tungsten | C is a great device. To see whether it looks
> like the right device for you, I encourage you to read my more complete
> review:
>
> http://sam.lipoff.org/palmpilot/whichpalm.html#tungsten...
>
> Best wishes,
>
> --Sam Lipoff

WHAT AN AWESOME HELP!!!! THANKS!!!!

> Posted thru AtlantisNews - Explore EVERY Newsgroup <
> http://www.AtlantisNews.com -- Lightning Fast!!! <
> Access the Most Content * No Limits * Best Service <
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 2:16:45 PM

On 6 Jun 2005 20:07:52 -0700, "Sam Lipoff" <lipoff@gmail.com> wrote:

[snip]

>I think the Tungsten | C is a great device. To see whether it looks
>like the right device for you, I encourage you to read my more complete
>review:
>
>http://sam.lipoff.org/palmpilot/whichpalm.html#tungsten...

Thanks for all the great info. Now, if there were only a Bluetooth
option for the T|C it would become my machine of choice.

--
Vic Roberts
Replace xxx with vdr in e-mail address.