Sign in with
Your question

Help me with my I7 930 overclock

Last response: in Overclocking
April 1, 2010 3:45:23 PM

I’m fairly new to overclocking and wanted to get a second pair of eyes to validate my settings. Speedstep crashes my overclock when enabled. I've tried increasing the vcore to 1.3 from 1.25. My overclock is totatlly stable when speedstep isn't enabled. I guess i could just go forward leaving it disabled......any ideas?

I’m currently getting Low 60s under full load.

Specs
Asus p6t
I7 930
Corsair h50
Asus P6T Intel X58 Socket LGA1366
Corsair Dominator 6144MB PC12800 DDR3 1600MHz
Corsair TX750W 750W Power Supply

THX!

More about : 930 overclock

a b K Overclocking
April 1, 2010 3:53:41 PM

Good overclock everything looks good to me
m
l
April 1, 2010 3:55:38 PM

any ideas as to why speedstep crashes my comp?
m
l
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
April 2, 2010 3:22:29 AM

Because part of speedstep is it lowers the voltage on some cpus it lowers it too much and you crash.
m
l
April 8, 2010 9:19:58 PM

How's the H50 for cooling? what's your temp idle?

I'm about to build a core i7 930 with the same cooling unit. Did you do a dual fan setup for push pull?? Did you push air out of the case or into the case as corsair have suggested?

Temps and clock speed looking great btw.
m
l
July 5, 2010 4:15:14 AM

Quote:
I would say out of the case. Pushing inside will theoretically increase temps.

True and this is how I see it as well, but Corsair is saying because the fan is reversed, it will in turn suck in cool air from the outside rather than taking the heated air from other components within the case to cool your CPU.

I decided in the end to push air out while installing a second fan inside the case to push the air to the H50. I won't say this is the best cooler, but it does perform pretty much on par with the Xigamtech HD1230 back on my C2D E8400. A bit expensive for watercooling considering its performance imho.
m
l
July 5, 2010 9:49:55 PM

You have that backwards. When molecules expand (liquid to gas transition or gas expansion), they absorb surrounding energy in the form of heat and have a cooling effect on the environment. That is the principle behind the heat pipes in the heat sinks.

I have always pulled air into the case with the rear case fan behind the CPU. I have never tested one way or the other but just like you guys were saying above, it makes more sense to me to get fresh air to a sink rather than having it use circulated case air that is a few degrees higher.
m
l
!