Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Problems Starting up and memory can't be set up for dual channel

Last response: in Memory
March 28, 2009 5:12:52 PM

Hello,

Recently i bought a few parts and put a computer together. However, if i put memory into the same color slots, computer doesn't start up and just beeps frequently and automatically shuts down. The problem is fixed if i put the memory into the slots closer to the processor. Windows recognizes that there is 4gb of memory. Yesterday I started up windows and it was fine, I left my house, came back, my screen was white and only solution was to force restart. I started up today as well and it did the same thing.

I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out what the problem is?

Thank you in advance,

Pavel
a c 80 } Memory
March 28, 2009 8:26:19 PM

You should start by providing a detailed list of components in your system (motherboard, CPU, RAM, PSU, Video card, etc.)
m
l
March 28, 2009 9:09:01 PM

I meant to do that, I am sorry, escaped my mind.

Here it is:

G.SKILL 2 x 2GB DDR2 800 Dual Channel Memory

GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R LGA 775 Intel P45 Motherboard

NVIDIA 9800GTX+ Video Card

Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 2.8GHz Dual-Core Processor

Western Digital 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s

hec ACE-580UB 580W ATX12V
m
l
Related resources
a c 80 } Memory
March 28, 2009 11:20:41 PM

What G.Skill RAM do you have? G.Skill have several different DDR2 800 kits.
m
l
March 29, 2009 1:51:22 AM

A few comments:
1) Your PS sounds like a no-name, and so is probably low-quality. It might be causing your problems.
2) Some MBs use different colors for the 2 DIMM socket channels, some use the same color, so you have to read your MB manual to find out where to place the DIMMs for dual-channel mode.
3) Your RAM probably is spec'd at a higher-than-standard voltage (DDR2 standard is 1.8V), and is thus factory-overclocked RAM. Look on the side of the DIMMs and if the voltage number there is higher than 1.8V, install only 1 DIMM, go into the BIOS and set your DIMM/RAM voltage to the value on the DIMMs (if it's a range, pick the highest value). Save you settings, then try installing all your DIMMs.
4) After doing #3, download the memtest86+ bootable CD image, burn it into a CD, and boot from that to run memtest86+ for at least a few complete passes or better yet overnight.
m
l
a c 80 } Memory
March 29, 2009 2:47:48 AM

That motherboard uses the same color sockets for dual channel operation.
m
l
March 29, 2009 7:44:27 PM

G.Skill

that's my memory

I ran the test, 81 times and no errors were detected, I also tried my roommates power supply (antec 400W) i only connected needed parts and tried putting memory in to the two closer to the edge slots (further away from the porcessor) and it didn't work. I also switched voltage to 1.9. Nothing.

Do you think it's my mother board? I still have a few days to return it.

Thanks
m
l

Best solution

a c 80 } Memory
March 29, 2009 8:55:05 PM

Quote:
i only connected needed parts and tried putting memory in to the two closer to the edge slots (further away from the porcessor) and it didn't work. I also switched voltage to 1.9. Nothing.
This doesn't really make sense to me. Why not use the yellow slots for dual channel mode or the 2 slots closest to the CPU for single channel mode? Did you test both memory modules installed at the same time? Could you test them in dual channel mode in another system? If the memory modules are fine and using the yellow slots doesn't work, then you should RMA your motherboard.
March 30, 2009 1:50:22 AM

memory works in the other two slots, i tested both, one, the other, in all kinds of configuations.
Thanks, ill return the motherboard
m
l
March 30, 2009 5:00:55 AM

Great, you have the some mobo as me and i was wondering how to put it into dual channel mode. But since you're having problems ill wait until someone comes up with a solution.
m
l
a c 80 } Memory
March 30, 2009 12:24:25 PM

That motherboard should have no issues supporting dual channel mode. With 2 identical modules, use the yellow slots. To run in dual channel mode, you have to use 2 or 4 modules. To check if the memory is running in dual, use CPU-Z. Click the Memory tab and verify that Channel # says Dual.
m
l
a c 80 } Memory
March 30, 2009 12:28:51 PM

That motherboard should have no issues supporting dual channel mode. With 2 identical modules, use the yellow slots. To run in dual channel mode, you have to use 2 or 4 modules. To check if the memory is running in dual, use CPU-Z. Click the Memory tab and verify that Channel # says Dual.
m
l
!