Sign in with
Your question

Installing a new motherboard.. Help

Last response: in Motherboards
March 28, 2009 6:07:35 PM

Hello

I am going to be installing a new motherboard for the first time and I will need some help.

My system specs:

Antec 900
Geforce 9800GT
E8400
600W PSU
Tuniq Tower 120 Heatsink
320GB Hard drive

Existing Motherboard: Abit 1-47CV

New motherboard: EVGA nForce Nvidia 750i Sli motherboard
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

Now, my questions:

1) How do I take the backplate from my Tuniq Tower off my old mobo? Or should I just order a new one.

2) Do I need to create a backup disk before installing the new mobo.

3) Does my stuff get erased if I don't backup my system?

4) Is all my stuff compatible with my new motherboard?

Any other tips on installing a motherboard would be appreciated.
This is my first time ever doing this. When i installed my cpu I didn't install the heatsink right, so I had to take it into a store and let them do it.

Thanks

-Mark

More about : installing motherboard

a b V Motherboard
March 28, 2009 6:17:23 PM

You will need to reformat and reinstall your OS on your old 320GB hard drive. Then load up the MB CD drivers/utilities from the new 750i MB CD. Backup any important data before reformat/reinstall OS. The 320GB HD has the drivers/chipset etc. for your old MB which will not work on your new 750i.

Tuniq Tower can likely be reused with proper backple for a socket AM2.
March 28, 2009 6:28:13 PM

badge said:
You will need to reformat and reinstall your OS on your old 320GB hard drive. Then load up the MB CD drivers/utilities from the new 750i MB CD. Backup any important data before reformat/reinstall OS. The 320GB HD has the drivers/chipset etc. for your old MB which will not work on your new 750i.

Tuniq Tower can likely be reused with proper backple for a socket AM2.

Ok thank you, so your saying that i have to backup important things, then I will have to reinstall the OS (xp) on the new mobo. Then I will need to install the motherboard and drivers, then the drivers for the 9800 etc...

-Mark
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
March 28, 2009 6:38:22 PM

Yeah, back up to disk or external HD all your important files from the 320GB installation. Then install the new MB and reformat the 320GB HD with the Windows XP CD and reinstall the OS. Then install the drivers/chipset/utilies from the 750i MB CD. Then update the new XP installation, Service packs, etc. Then reinstall all your personal APPS, word, office, etc. If you install the new MB and try to boot up to the 320GB HD with the old MB installation, it will not boot to the OS desktop. The old MB drivers are installed until you reformat and reinstall. There are ways to get around it, but this is the better solution in the long run. Fresh install of OS with proper MB/system drivers.

Reinstall your 9800 video driver after you install the system drivers from the 750i MB CD. Be sure to get all the service packs and updates for XP installed too. You should go into BIOS and set up your RAM to Mfg. specs or adjust the speed, voltage and timings to specs. You will have to get in BIOS to set the first boot device to CD/DVD to reinstall the OS.
March 28, 2009 7:41:04 PM

badge said:
Yeah, back up to disk or external HD all your important files from the 320GB installation. Then install the new MB and reformat the 320GB HD with the Windows XP CD and reinstall the OS. Then install the drivers/chipset/utilies from the 750i MB CD. Then update the new XP installation, Service packs, etc. Then reinstall all your personal APPS, word, office, etc. If you install the new MB and try to boot up to the 320GB HD with the old MB installation, it will not boot to the OS desktop. The old MB drivers are installed until you reformat and reinstall. There are ways to get around it, but this is the better solution in the long run. Fresh install of OS with proper MB/system drivers.

Reinstall your 9800 video driver after you install the system drivers from the 750i MB CD. Be sure to get all the service packs and updates for XP installed too. You should go into BIOS and set up your RAM to Mfg. specs or adjust the speed, voltage and timings to specs. You will have to get in BIOS to set the first boot device to CD/DVD to reinstall the OS.

Okay I will try!

a b V Motherboard
March 28, 2009 7:46:33 PM

If you have never installed a MB before maybe write down everything you unplug from the old installation. Then plug it back in to the same MB connectors on the new MB. Or you could just jerk all the wires off quickly and yank it out and and try to figure where everything plugs in to the new board without a clue. 8)
a c 239 V Motherboard
March 28, 2009 8:11:24 PM

devilboy9944 said:
Hello

I am going to be installing a new motherboard for the first time and I will need some help.

My system specs:

Antec 900
Geforce 9800GT
E8400
600W PSU
Tuniq Tower 120 Heatsink
320GB Hard drive

Existing Motherboard: Abit 1-47CV

New motherboard: EVGA nForce Nvidia 750i Sli motherboard
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

Now, my questions:

1) How do I take the backplate from my Tuniq Tower off my old mobo? Or should I just order a new one.

2) Do I need to create a backup disk before installing the new mobo.

3) Does my stuff get erased if I don't backup my system?

4) Is all my stuff compatible with my new motherboard?

Any other tips on installing a motherboard would be appreciated.
This is my first time ever doing this. When i installed my cpu I didn't install the heatsink right, so I had to take it into a store and let them do it.

Thanks

-Mark

1) Run your old system a bit before shutting it down. That will warm up the thermal material, and make it easier to remove the cpu, and possibly the backplate.
The backplate can be reused, depending on how sticky any insulation was. Remove it slowly and carefully.
2) Because you will have a different chipset, you won't be able to reuse your old os installation on the new mobo. Back up what you need to first.
3) Yes, you need a reinstall.
4) Go to your ram vendor's web site and access their configurator. Enter your new mobo, and you should get a list of parts that are compatible. Hopefully your ram is on the list.

Install the ram and the heat sink with the mobo outside of the case.
The ram might have to go in first if it is obstructed by the heat sink.
You need access to the back of the mobo to put onthe back plate, of course.
March 29, 2009 3:45:28 AM

badge said:
If you have never installed a MB before maybe write down everything you unplug from the old installation. Then plug it back in to the same MB connectors on the new MB. Or you could just jerk all the wires off quickly and yank it out and and try to figure where everything plugs in to the new board without a clue. 8)

LOL, The second option sounds a little bit like me, but for my own sake, I think I'm going to write where everything is. I've taken out my old mobo and re installed it in a new case with no problems except the PWR BTN, RST SW, and HDD LED were little tiny thigs and it took me FOREVER to figure out where they plugged back in.

Thanks for the advice. I will keep you posted on what is happening, right now I am in the process of backing up my system, so I might as well do that tonight, then I will order the new mobo Sunday night so they can get the notifications on Monday morning and start packaging. I should expect my new mobo on Tuesday night. My friend and I are going to be installing it together.

When my new mobo gets here, I will be returning my old one back to my local comp shop for full refund. It wasn't what I needed for a motherboard.
March 29, 2009 3:50:03 AM

geofelt said:
1) Run your old system a bit before shutting it down. That will warm up the thermal material, and make it easier to remove the cpu, and possibly the backplate.
The backplate can be reused, depending on how sticky any insulation was. Remove it slowly and carefully.
2) Because you will have a different chipset, you won't be able to reuse your old os installation on the new mobo. Back up what you need to first.
3) Yes, you need a reinstall.
4) Go to your ram vendor's web site and access their configurator. Enter your new mobo, and you should get a list of parts that are compatible. Hopefully your ram is on the list.

Install the ram and the heat sink with the mobo outside of the case.
The ram might have to go in first if it is obstructed by the heat sink.
You need access to the back of the mobo to put onthe back plate, of course.

Thanks for the help.I think I will run a few Crysis or Far Cry 2 benchmarks before I take out the mobo :p 

Back up takes FOREVER. I'd rather wait 2 hours then have to reinstall everything back on my system. I switched from vista 32 bit to XP 32 bit and I had no programs on my comp :cry: 
!