Gigabyte GA-EP45T-UD3R - External USB - rebooting?

spinitboy

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2009
Hi

Recently bought a Gigabyte GA-EP45T-UD3R and put some Corsair 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz/PC3-10666 XMS3 DHX into it. Got 2 250gb Samsung SATA 150 in RAID1 and another 2 HD's (1 SATA and 1 PATA) along with a PATA DVDRW. Using a Core2Duo 8400 with an Artic Freezer 7 PRO.
BIOS is flashed to latest one (F5).
Problem - When i boot up with any external USB2 drives plugged into the PC, it hangs on the POST screen and then reboot. I never had this problem with my old MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum socket 939!!!
Reading on the web, this seems to be a known issue, but wondering if anyone has found a solution?
Thanks in Advance!

spinitboy

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2009

ALL - seems I have found the answer!!! There is an option in the BIOS that allows you to DISABLE Legacy USB Drive access (or something like that.. can't remember exactly). Once you disable it (i think its enabled by default), your PC will boot with those drives connected.

Thankfully this saves me a lot of hassle as I have about 4 ext USB drives that I need connected!....

spinitboy

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2009
Thanks billbat!

For those too lazy to click the link here's the details:

"Legacy USB Storage Detect" - Set it to disabled in the 'Integrated Peripherals' BIOS page

Thanks!

bilbat

Splendid
More

For those too lazy to click the link

"Legacy USB Storage Detect" also appears as "USB Storage Function" on recent BIOS/MOBOs;
having it disabled will still allow OS to find USB keys/drives;
you only need/want it enabled if you intend to boot from USB (in which case the BIOS, rather than the OS must 'see' the intended boot drive);
otherwise it's known to cause strange problems, including, but not limited to, USB device failures of otherwise healthy devices, and reboot loops.