Distorted garbled display while playing games

krishter

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2008
Each time I start either UT3 or Crysis, within 5 minutes the display gets garbled. It works fine otherwise.
Garbled -> Pixelated/Random shapes coming on screen/Lines and grains/combination of all these

Already done
---------------
-Updated and flashed BIOS
-Tried out older 178 and new 180 drivers
-Checked machine specs

Machine specs
----------------
XFX GeForce 9800GTX+
Intel E8400 @3GHz
Asus P5Q-E
2 X 1GB Kingston Hynix DDR2
Corsair TX650W
Windows XP SP3

I hope you will be able to understand the dilemma I'm in right now. I upgraded jus so I could play these high end games.
I'm sad :(

krishter

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2008
I used RivaTuner to check the running temperature. It was at 62 celsius. Is that normal temperature. Pardon my lack of knowledge but if it were a temperature issue, then shouldn't it affect normal Windows operation? Also I'm able to run NFS UG pretty allright.

If it is a temperature issue after all, would it help if I jack the cards fan speed?

Vga cards run hot, and they are built to do so. Up to 100c is possible. 62c under load is very good. If temp were an issue, upping the fan speed would help.
The vga caqrd uses more power and heats up under heavy 3d loads like gaming. Normal windows operations should not be affected.

Since this is a new card, consider the possibility that it might be defective and RMA it.

krishter

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2008
I bought this card on a visit to the US. I'm in India right now. So RMA is really a last option for me. I just wanna be absolutely sure before considering RMA.

geofelt do you think I need to check out any other scenarios for rectification?
Maybe cooling solutions/a bigger case???

Have you taken the doors off to open up the case and tried the system? We are trying to eliminate case cooling as an issue. If open doors and a fan don't help, then the problem is elsewere. The symptoms are those of an overheated vga card.

Can you check to see that the vga fan is actually turning?

The next possibility is that the vga card is not getting enough power. The corsair 650 is a very good unit, and would not normally be cause for concern. Are you certain that the pci-e connectors are both solidly inserted into the vga card?

Before you return the card, can you test your system with another similar card?
Can you test your system with a different, and perhaps stronger psu?

krishter

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2008
i opened the casing exposed the card to direct ceiling-fan cooling...temp came down to 55C. But the symptoms still show up. I do have to mention that my case just about fits all the components. thr's very lil room for air circulation.

antiacid

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
It isn't necessarily a GPU heating problem.

I've had a similar issue on a watercooled video card running at 40-45c load (hd4870 1gig). The problem for me was the VRAM heating up to 100c during load. Changing the cooling solution (stock full cover heatsink + waterblock + directional fan) is the solution there.

In your case, I'd try an "antec spot cool" fan which is mounted on a flexible arm. That can get you some extra air flow on the video card and it costs only 20$CAD (so like, 15$USD).

krishter

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2008
how did you figure out the root cause?? some tool?? can rivatuner show me this? jus wanna be absolutely sure b4 i make more investments...

krishter

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2008
- upgraded to VISTA
- played with open-case
- temp at 52C
- garbling occurs even now and garbles the windows desktop as well now
- game keeps getting stuck

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

krishter

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2008
ok...since upgrading to VISTA, the garbling has reduced considerable but still happens...add to that UT3 keeps getting stuck during gameplay...i need to switch programs and the get back to UT3 to get it to work...also crysis keeps hanging...a task bar balloon also pops up saying the "Graphics driver has recovered after not responding"...can someone please help??

I suspect you have a software issue.
Perhaps it is compounded by having only 2gb of ram. See if you can't get that to 4gb.
After some time in use, the available ram might be insufficient.

Why in the world did you go to vista instead of windows 7?
Windows 7 is much better and runs cleaner.