Admin Tools Tutorial

Hello all,

Im currently running Windows XP Home Edition SP1. I would
like to know if anyone might know of any tutorials or
sources providing how I can use Admin Tools. In my PC it is
located at: Start -> Control Panel -> Admin Tools

Any feedback will be gladly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Chris
9 answers Last reply
More about admin tools tutorial

    On Sat, 3 Apr 2004 12:23:14 -0800, Chris wrote:

    > Hello all,
    >
    > Im currently running Windows XP Home Edition SP1. I would
    > like to know if anyone might know of any tutorials or
    > sources providing how I can use Admin Tools. In my PC it is
    > located at: Start -> Control Panel -> Admin Tools
    >
    > Any feedback will be gladly appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Chris

    Have you reviewed the Help files yet? Right click on My Computer and select
    Manage. This will bring up the main computer management console. Click on
    Help> Help Topics. You'll find quite a bit of information about the main
    administrative tools here.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

    Thanks will have a look

    I read the help file and got some info online about MMC
    (Microsoft Management Console). Was wondering if this is
    the right tool if I want to manage certain users from
    accessing files, applying prevelige access to certain users
    for certain files and etc.
    Am I in the right track?

    Chris

    Just found out that MMC snap-in is also used to create
    policies, but doesnt exist in Windows XP Home Edition.
    Would have been nice to have, unfortunately this is not the
    case.

    Thanks for the helpl anyhow.

    On Sat, 3 Apr 2004 14:49:19 -0800, <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
    wrote:

    > I read the help file and got some info online about MMC
    > (Microsoft Management Console). Was wondering if this is
    > the right tool if I want to manage certain users from
    > accessing files, applying prevelige access to certain users
    > for certain files and etc.
    > Am I in the right track?
    >
    > Chris

    Yes, you're on the right track but there are limitations here and there in
    XP Home that do not exist in XP Pro. You may want to take a look at
    "Security Console" created by MVP Doug Knox. Especially useful when working
    under the constraints of XP Home:

    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    Chris;

    Start | Help and Support | Type: Administrative Tools | Click the arrow

    (Some of these may be for XP Pro only)
    Using Computer Management
    Administrative tool reference A-Z
    Using administrative tools in Microsoft Management Console
    Administrative tools
    Using the Microsoft Management Console
    HOW TO: Use Computer Management in Windows XP
    =====

    Start | Run | Type: mmc | OK | Click the Help button
    =========

    Add Administrative Tools to Your Start Menu
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/tips/november/coleman1.asp

    Using administrative tools in Microsoft Management Console
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/using/productdoc/en/default.asp?url=/WINDOWSXP/home/using/productdoc/en/app_misc_pr_load_snapin.asp

    Administrative tools
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/using/productdoc/en/default.asp?url=/WINDOWSXP/home/using/productdoc/en/cpanel_admintools.asp

    ========

    Microsoft® Windows® XP Inside Out BOOK
    http://www.microsoft.com/products/info/product.aspx?view=22&pcid=7ec3ce2a-a9d2-8f6f-648e-0216114d70a0&type=ovr

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    Wes

    In news:17c3201c419b9$7de01c60$a301280a@phx.gbl,
    Chris <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Hello all,
    >
    > Im currently running Windows XP Home Edition SP1. I would
    > like to know if anyone might know of any tutorials or
    > sources providing how I can use Admin Tools. In my PC it is
    > located at: Start -> Control Panel -> Admin Tools
    >
    > Any feedback will be gladly appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Chris
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    Wesley,

    Very discriptive information you provided, but
    unfortunately, just realized, Windows XP Home Edition (the
    OS I am using) doesnt feature MMC snap-in or group policies
    (start - run - lusrmgr.msc). So without this its almost not
    worth setting up.

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    Chris;

    I couldn't remember for sure what Home had.

    The biggest difference between Home and Pro (not
    counting network stuff) is Pro has gpedit.msc (Group Policy)
    and Home does not.

    I do remember that Home does have add snap-ins.

    I found that I had this.
    These are for Windows XP Home.

    I did this when I had Home.

    You can add all of these to MMC (Console1) or
    type 'em in the Run box.

    Start | Run | Type:

    certmgr.msc = Certificates
    ciadv.msc = Indexing Service
    comexp.msc = Component Services
    compmgmt.msc = Computer Management
    Console1.msc = Console 1
    devmgmt.msc = Device Manager
    dfrg.msc = Disk Defragmenter
    diskmgmt.msc = Disk Mangement
    eventvwr.msc = Event Viewer
    fsmgmt.msc = Shared Folders
    lusrmgr.msc = Local Users and Groups
    ntmsmgr.msc = Removable Storage
    ntmsoprq.msc = Removable Storage Operator Requests
    perfmon.msc = Performance
    services.msc = Services
    sidwalk.msc = sidwalk - [Console Root\Security Migration] SID Walker {Part
    of Support Tools on the XP CD}
    wmimgmt.msc = Windows Management Infrastructure (WMI)
    =========

    Start | Run | Type: mmc | OK |
    File | Add/Remove Snap-in | Add button |
    Highlight one | Add button | et cetera

    You have to play around with 'em a bit.
    Save as Console1 and add a shortcut in Administrative Tools.

    Console1 just provides a convenient place to run and/or use all
    the *.msc files. (Microsoft Common Console Document)

    Do a Search on your machine for *.msc You'll see what you have.
    That's how I made my *.msc list.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    Wes

    In news:1356201c419d0$a8936360$a001280a@phx.gbl,
    Chris <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Wesley,
    >
    > Very discriptive information you provided, but
    > unfortunately, just realized, Windows XP Home Edition (the
    > OS I am using) doesnt feature MMC snap-in or group policies
    > (start - run - lusrmgr.msc). So without this its almost not
    > worth setting up.

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    Chris;

    Start | Run | control userpasswords | OK |
    Brings up User Accounts, the one you get from Control Panel/User Accounts.

    I did remember that lusrmgr.msc Local Users and Groups (Local)
    Will bring up this message in Home::
    [This computer is running Windows XP Home Edition. This snapin may not be
    used with that version of Windows. To manage user accounts for this
    computer, use the User Accounts tool in the Control Panel]

    Start | Run | control userpasswords2 | OK |
    Brings up User Accounts, the one you would get from My Computer/Manage/Local
    Users and Groups.

    From KB817365
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;817365

    [The userpasswords2 applet should not be used on WINDOWS XP Home Edition as
    a tool to edit or modify users. It is reserved for WINDOWS XP Professional
    Edition. The reason for this is that userpasswords2 allows the user to
    access to the 'Power Users' group which doesn't exist on WINDOWS XP Home
    Edition.]

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    Wes

    In news:1356201c419d0$a8936360$a001280a@phx.gbl,
    Chris <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Wesley,
    >
    > Very discriptive information you provided, but
    > unfortunately, just realized, Windows XP Home Edition (the
    > OS I am using) doesnt feature MMC snap-in or group policies
    > (start - run - lusrmgr.msc). So without this its almost not
    > worth setting up.

Configuration Microsoft Tutorial Windows XP