Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Admin Tools Tutorial

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
April 3, 2004 4:23:14 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

Hello all,

Im currently running Windows XP Home Edition SP1. I would
like to know if anyone might know of any tutorials or
sources providing how I can use Admin Tools. In my PC it is
located at: Start -> Control Panel -> Admin Tools

Any feedback will be gladly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Chris

More about : admin tools tutorial

Anonymous
April 3, 2004 8:23:59 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

On Sat, 3 Apr 2004 12:23:14 -0800, Chris wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Im currently running Windows XP Home Edition SP1. I would
> like to know if anyone might know of any tutorials or
> sources providing how I can use Admin Tools. In my PC it is
> located at: Start -> Control Panel -> Admin Tools
>
> Any feedback will be gladly appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Chris

Have you reviewed the Help files yet? Right click on My Computer and select
Manage. This will bring up the main computer management console. Click on
Help> Help Topics. You'll find quite a bit of information about the main
administrative tools here.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User
April 3, 2004 8:24:00 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

Thanks will have a look

>-----Original Message-----
>On Sat, 3 Apr 2004 12:23:14 -0800, Chris wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> Im currently running Windows XP Home Edition SP1. I
would
>> like to know if anyone might know of any tutorials or
>> sources providing how I can use Admin Tools. In my PC it
is
>> located at: Start -> Control Panel -> Admin Tools
>>
>> Any feedback will be gladly appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Chris
>
>Have you reviewed the Help files yet? Right click on My
Computer and select
>Manage. This will bring up the main computer management
console. Click on
>Help> Help Topics. You'll find quite a bit of information
about the main
>administrative tools here.
>
>--
>Sharon F
>MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User
>.
>
Related resources
Anonymous
April 3, 2004 8:24:00 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

I read the help file and got some info online about MMC
(Microsoft Management Console). Was wondering if this is
the right tool if I want to manage certain users from
accessing files, applying prevelige access to certain users
for certain files and etc.
Am I in the right track?

Chris


>-----Original Message-----
>On Sat, 3 Apr 2004 12:23:14 -0800, Chris wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> Im currently running Windows XP Home Edition SP1. I
would
>> like to know if anyone might know of any tutorials or
>> sources providing how I can use Admin Tools. In my PC it
is
>> located at: Start -> Control Panel -> Admin Tools
>>
>> Any feedback will be gladly appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Chris
>
>Have you reviewed the Help files yet? Right click on My
Computer and select
>Manage. This will bring up the main computer management
console. Click on
>Help> Help Topics. You'll find quite a bit of information
about the main
>administrative tools here.
>
>--
>Sharon F
>MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User
>.
>
April 3, 2004 8:24:00 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

Just found out that MMC snap-in is also used to create
policies, but doesnt exist in Windows XP Home Edition.
Would have been nice to have, unfortunately this is not the
case.

Thanks for the helpl anyhow.


>-----Original Message-----
>On Sat, 3 Apr 2004 12:23:14 -0800, Chris wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> Im currently running Windows XP Home Edition SP1. I
would
>> like to know if anyone might know of any tutorials or
>> sources providing how I can use Admin Tools. In my PC it
is
>> located at: Start -> Control Panel -> Admin Tools
>>
>> Any feedback will be gladly appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Chris
>
>Have you reviewed the Help files yet? Right click on My
Computer and select
>Manage. This will bring up the main computer management
console. Click on
>Help> Help Topics. You'll find quite a bit of information
about the main
>administrative tools here.
>
>--
>Sharon F
>MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User
>.
>
Anonymous
April 3, 2004 9:53:52 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

On Sat, 3 Apr 2004 14:49:19 -0800, <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

> I read the help file and got some info online about MMC
> (Microsoft Management Console). Was wondering if this is
> the right tool if I want to manage certain users from
> accessing files, applying prevelige access to certain users
> for certain files and etc.
> Am I in the right track?
>
> Chris
>

Yes, you're on the right track but there are limitations here and there in
XP Home that do not exist in XP Pro. You may want to take a look at
"Security Console" created by MVP Doug Knox. Especially useful when working
under the constraints of XP Home:

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_securityconsole.htm

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User
Anonymous
April 4, 2004 3:32:45 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

Chris;

Start | Help and Support | Type: Administrative Tools | Click the arrow

(Some of these may be for XP Pro only)
Using Computer Management
Administrative tool reference A-Z
Using administrative tools in Microsoft Management Console
Administrative tools
Using the Microsoft Management Console
HOW TO: Use Computer Management in Windows XP
=====

Start | Run | Type: mmc | OK | Click the Help button
=========

Add Administrative Tools to Your Start Menu
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/tips/nove...

Using administrative tools in Microsoft Management Console
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/using/productdo...

Administrative tools
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/using/productdo...

========

Microsoft® Windows® XP Inside Out BOOK
http://www.microsoft.com/products/info/product.aspx?vie...


--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:17c3201c419b9$7de01c60$a301280a@phx.gbl,
Chris <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Hello all,
>
> Im currently running Windows XP Home Edition SP1. I would
> like to know if anyone might know of any tutorials or
> sources providing how I can use Admin Tools. In my PC it is
> located at: Start -> Control Panel -> Admin Tools
>
> Any feedback will be gladly appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Chris
April 4, 2004 3:32:46 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

Wesley,

Very discriptive information you provided, but
unfortunately, just realized, Windows XP Home Edition (the
OS I am using) doesnt feature MMC snap-in or group policies
(start - run - lusrmgr.msc). So without this its almost not
worth setting up.

>-----Original Message-----
>Chris;
>
>Start | Help and Support | Type: Administrative Tools |
Click the arrow
>
>(Some of these may be for XP Pro only)
>Using Computer Management
>Administrative tool reference A-Z
>Using administrative tools in Microsoft Management Console
>Administrative tools
>Using the Microsoft Management Console
>HOW TO: Use Computer Management in Windows XP
>=====
>
>Start | Run | Type: mmc | OK | Click the Help button
>=========
>
>Add Administrative Tools to Your Start Menu
>http://www.microsoft.
com/windowsxp/expertzone/tips/november/coleman1.asp
>
>Using administrative tools in Microsoft Management Console
>http://www.microsoft.
com/windowsxp/home/using/productdoc/en/default.asp?
url=/WINDOWSXP/home/using/productdoc/en/app_misc_pr_load_sn
apin.asp
>
>Administrative tools
>http://www.microsoft.
com/windowsxp/home/using/productdoc/en/default.asp?
url=/WINDOWSXP/home/using/productdoc/en/cpanel_admintools.
asp
>
>========
>
>Microsoft® Windows® XP Inside Out BOOK
>http://www.microsoft.com/products/info/product.aspx?
view=22&pcid=7ec3ce2a-a9d2-8f6f-648e-0216114d70a0&type=ovr
>
>
>--
>Hope this helps. Let us know.
>Wes
>
>In news:17c3201c419b9$7de01c60$a301280a@phx.gbl,
>Chris <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and
pecked:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> Im currently running Windows XP Home Edition SP1. I
would
>> like to know if anyone might know of any tutorials or
>> sources providing how I can use Admin Tools. In my PC it
is
>> located at: Start -> Control Panel -> Admin Tools
>>
>> Any feedback will be gladly appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Chris
>
>.
>
Anonymous
April 4, 2004 5:12:53 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

Chris;

I couldn't remember for sure what Home had.

The biggest difference between Home and Pro (not
counting network stuff) is Pro has gpedit.msc (Group Policy)
and Home does not.

I do remember that Home does have add snap-ins.

I found that I had this.
These are for Windows XP Home.

I did this when I had Home.

You can add all of these to MMC (Console1) or
type 'em in the Run box.

Start | Run | Type:

certmgr.msc = Certificates
ciadv.msc = Indexing Service
comexp.msc = Component Services
compmgmt.msc = Computer Management
Console1.msc = Console 1
devmgmt.msc = Device Manager
dfrg.msc = Disk Defragmenter
diskmgmt.msc = Disk Mangement
eventvwr.msc = Event Viewer
fsmgmt.msc = Shared Folders
lusrmgr.msc = Local Users and Groups
ntmsmgr.msc = Removable Storage
ntmsoprq.msc = Removable Storage Operator Requests
perfmon.msc = Performance
services.msc = Services
sidwalk.msc = sidwalk - [Console Root\Security Migration] SID Walker {Part
of Support Tools on the XP CD}
wmimgmt.msc = Windows Management Infrastructure (WMI)
=========

Start | Run | Type: mmc | OK |
File | Add/Remove Snap-in | Add button |
Highlight one | Add button | et cetera

You have to play around with 'em a bit.
Save as Console1 and add a shortcut in Administrative Tools.

Console1 just provides a convenient place to run and/or use all
the *.msc files. (Microsoft Common Console Document)

Do a Search on your machine for *.msc You'll see what you have.
That's how I made my *.msc list.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:1356201c419d0$a8936360$a001280a@phx.gbl,
Chris <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Wesley,
>
> Very discriptive information you provided, but
> unfortunately, just realized, Windows XP Home Edition (the
> OS I am using) doesnt feature MMC snap-in or group policies
> (start - run - lusrmgr.msc). So without this its almost not
> worth setting up.
>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> Chris;
>>
>> Start | Help and Support | Type: Administrative Tools | Click the
>> arrow
>>
>> (Some of these may be for XP Pro only)
>> Using Computer Management
>> Administrative tool reference A-Z
>> Using administrative tools in Microsoft Management Console
>> Administrative tools
>> Using the Microsoft Management Console
>> HOW TO: Use Computer Management in Windows XP
>> =====
>>
>> Start | Run | Type: mmc | OK | Click the Help button
>> =========
>>
>> Add Administrative Tools to Your Start Menu
>> http://www.microsoft.
> com/windowsxp/expertzone/tips/november/coleman1.asp
>>
>> Using administrative tools in Microsoft Management Console
>> http://www.microsoft.
> com/windowsxp/home/using/productdoc/en/default.asp?
> url=/WINDOWSXP/home/using/productdoc/en/app_misc_pr_load_sn
> apin.asp
>>
>> Administrative tools
>> http://www.microsoft.
> com/windowsxp/home/using/productdoc/en/default.asp?
> url=/WINDOWSXP/home/using/productdoc/en/cpanel_admintools.
> asp
>>
>> ========
>>
>> Microsoft® Windows® XP Inside Out BOOK
>> http://www.microsoft.com/products/info/product.aspx?
> view=22&pcid=7ec3ce2a-a9d2-8f6f-648e-0216114d70a0&type=ovr
>>
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>> Wes
>>
>> In news:17c3201c419b9$7de01c60$a301280a@phx.gbl,
>> Chris <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and
> pecked:
>>> Hello all,
>>>
>>> Im currently running Windows XP Home Edition SP1. I would
>>> like to know if anyone might know of any tutorials or
>>> sources providing how I can use Admin Tools. In my PC it is
>>> located at: Start -> Control Panel -> Admin Tools
>>>
>>> Any feedback will be gladly appreciated.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance.
>>>
>>> Chris
>>
>> .
Anonymous
April 4, 2004 5:24:42 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

Chris;

Start | Run | control userpasswords | OK |
Brings up User Accounts, the one you get from Control Panel/User Accounts.

I did remember that lusrmgr.msc Local Users and Groups (Local)
Will bring up this message in Home::
[This computer is running Windows XP Home Edition. This snapin may not be
used with that version of Windows. To manage user accounts for this
computer, use the User Accounts tool in the Control Panel]

Start | Run | control userpasswords2 | OK |
Brings up User Accounts, the one you would get from My Computer/Manage/Local
Users and Groups.

From KB817365
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;817365

[The userpasswords2 applet should not be used on WINDOWS XP Home Edition as
a tool to edit or modify users. It is reserved for WINDOWS XP Professional
Edition. The reason for this is that userpasswords2 allows the user to
access to the 'Power Users' group which doesn't exist on WINDOWS XP Home
Edition.]

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:1356201c419d0$a8936360$a001280a@phx.gbl,
Chris <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Wesley,
>
> Very discriptive information you provided, but
> unfortunately, just realized, Windows XP Home Edition (the
> OS I am using) doesnt feature MMC snap-in or group policies
> (start - run - lusrmgr.msc). So without this its almost not
> worth setting up.
>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> Chris;
>>
>> Start | Help and Support | Type: Administrative Tools | Click the
>> arrow
>>
>> (Some of these may be for XP Pro only)
>> Using Computer Management
>> Administrative tool reference A-Z
>> Using administrative tools in Microsoft Management Console
>> Administrative tools
>> Using the Microsoft Management Console
>> HOW TO: Use Computer Management in Windows XP
>> =====
>>
>> Start | Run | Type: mmc | OK | Click the Help button
>> =========
>>
>> Add Administrative Tools to Your Start Menu
>> http://www.microsoft.
> com/windowsxp/expertzone/tips/november/coleman1.asp
>>
>> Using administrative tools in Microsoft Management Console
>> http://www.microsoft.
> com/windowsxp/home/using/productdoc/en/default.asp?
> url=/WINDOWSXP/home/using/productdoc/en/app_misc_pr_load_sn
> apin.asp
>>
>> Administrative tools
>> http://www.microsoft.
> com/windowsxp/home/using/productdoc/en/default.asp?
> url=/WINDOWSXP/home/using/productdoc/en/cpanel_admintools.
> asp
>>
>> ========
>>
>> Microsoft® Windows® XP Inside Out BOOK
>> http://www.microsoft.com/products/info/product.aspx?
> view=22&pcid=7ec3ce2a-a9d2-8f6f-648e-0216114d70a0&type=ovr
>>
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>> Wes
>>
>> In news:17c3201c419b9$7de01c60$a301280a@phx.gbl,
>> Chris <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and
> pecked:
>>> Hello all,
>>>
>>> Im currently running Windows XP Home Edition SP1. I would
>>> like to know if anyone might know of any tutorials or
>>> sources providing how I can use Admin Tools. In my PC it is
>>> located at: Start -> Control Panel -> Admin Tools
>>>
>>> Any feedback will be gladly appreciated.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance.
>>>
>>> Chris
>>
>> .
!