(Vista64) Is this normal physical mem. usage?

yoshi77

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2008
So I built this pc a few months ago and have yet to have a problem that I didnt think was vista's fault.

However im EXTREMELY paranoid over making sure things that I dont want running arent.

Anyway I stumbled over this post by a guy with vista and 1g of RAM getting 50% physical memory usage. Ive got vista64 with 4 gigs of RAM and I get 30% physical memory under normal use (MSN, steam, winamp, rocketdock, and antivirus) ie, not playing games.

So im wondering is this normal for vista, is ram usage being misrepresented, or maybe its bloated from a lot of unnessacy stuff.

Screenshots:
86967303.jpg

These are the services running under the first svchost:
we4r54.jpg

yoshi77

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2008
quick update: I killed superfetch services and that brought svchost from 160k to about 20k, which brought the physical memory down to about 31-32, although it helped alot it still seems pretty high

Why would you kill superfetch? It speeds the computer up.

And yes, that seems fairly normal. As you give Vista more RAM, it will use more. Don't worry - it will free up all but a few hundred megabytes if a program requests that much memory. My Vista64 install with 12 gigs of RAM idles with about 2.5-3.5GB used.

pat

Expert
quite funny to see people adding more RAM to their computer, while not wanting it to use it....

RAM is faster than HDD. so the more the OS will use it, the faster it will be.