Can I get a better picture?

chesso

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
Hello,

I have a HP Pavilion DV5-1108AX which has an HDMI output, which I have hooked up to my 19inch LCD HD TV.

I also have the ATI Catalyst Control centre outputting my desktop to the TV only.

The display is somewhat good but very, how to describe....... grainy?

Text is also more difficult to see (not surprising considering the resolution is higher than what I am used to), but it isn't just the size of the text, rather it also looks grainy/not very *smooth* quality.

Is there some sort of settings in ATI Control Panel or Vista that can help with this? I know my TV does not have any fancy tricks up it's sleeve for the display through HDMI.

chesso

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
The system itself chooses one by default, but I have also played around with different supported resolutions.

It all really ends up looking the same.

I never have been able to get any decent quality out of a desktop pushed onto a television anyway, no matter the configuration or settings, just thought having two HD supporting devices might give a better result this time.

hannibal

Distinguished
Well the problem with TV is the guite big internal processing lag. It's ok with tv-picture, but problematic when playing games. It should not be concern in here.
One thing is that the individual pixels are somewhat larger in TV because they are normally whatchet from bigger distance, so the picture is not normally as sharp as in normal monitors, but as was mentioned above, you should check your TV resolution and if the graphic card is really using the same resolution. The scaling is not the strong part of LCD displays.

Flakes

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
i found that turning sharpness on the tv to 0 is the way to fix this, then it just looks normal. i think the sharpness on the tv conflicts with the settings on the GFX card.