Sign in with
Your question

Core i7 Overclocking temperature Guide - needs your info / input

Last response: in Overclocking
April 2, 2010 3:29:49 AM

OK here is my question(s) as best as I can ask it / them, or at least attempt to and what we plan to answer; What is a "safe" temperature, using core temp 0.99.5, for an overclocked i7 920, 930, 950, 960, 965, 975, on air and maybe even underwater?

SO what I need to know is what temperature(s) are some of you getting using air and an overclocked i7 chip and the program core temp under full load with prime 95 stress testing for over 20 minutes? and what is your idle temp once you have leveled off?

and one more; do you consider your OC to be safe and 24/7 stable?

i would like to compile this info into some graph charts and write up a forum article for this and a few other places to help myself and other users in the future if possible with a temperature guide for i7 overclocking with other users to compare to and some baselines. SO any overclock's between lets say 3.4GHz and 4.2GHz would be greatly appreciated, but please remember not to exaggerate or flat out lie, because this will not be a help to anyone and will only cause the results to be askew and possibly ruin all the work that will go into this. I know we would all love to say we're running on a custom watercooling system with our 920's or 975's at 4.0GHz all day at 60c but that just isn't true as much as we all would love for it to be, the truth is some i7's can't hit 4.0GHz. Hell some can't even hit 3.8 even with the cpu core volts at 1.40, it's all a game of luck, and it's ok if you didn't win the CPU lottery, just please be honest.

If possible please include a screen shot, or your cpuid info on your clock speeds, and you case, cooler, cpu info; model and revision. If you're feeling generous go ahead and share your bios settings like voltages, blk, ht disabled, and multiplier as this could become included in the charts as well if enough people respond. thanks in advance to anyone who helps with this by contributing.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have read way too many forums and watched too many videos to count and everyone seems to vary obviously and use different temperature reading programs like real temp and core temp and so on, and i have noticed that a lot of people exaggerate about their overclock and they're actual temps at said speeds, or flat out lie, i am not saying any of you would do such a thing, but please be honest as i am trying to find a good general baseline to compare actual core temps with.

Also does anyone have an idea of what maximum temp its actually safe to hover around under prime 95 stress testing? IE; what core temps would you consider safe for your overclock under load aka prime 95 stress testing for over 15 minutes... trying to get everyones opinion, or factual information on that as well.

I myself am rotating between 3.8 and 4.0GHz right now because Im afraid to max out my temps and hurt the life expectancy of my chip... I know over-volting, causes wear which leads to increased voltage and 3 year life span and blah blah blah, but i am on a 950 (d0) with only 1.25v on the cpu core and the qpi at the moment with my blk at 200 and a multiplier of 19 or 20 depending on if i feel like 3.8 or 4.0GHz that day. and under prime 95 stress testing i level off and reach a max of 71/70/70/69 on my cores using core temp at 4GHz and I get worried that it's too hot for my CPU. which is part of why I want to make this chart and compile this info... anyone think thats too hot for over 1 hour of stress testing???

I know there are a lot of questions in there and it is a lot to ask of you as your casually browse the forums, but it would greatly help me in my mission to build this guide and charts and graphs and so on, and help out so many toms hardware forum users in the future, and of course partial credit will go to all the users at toms hardware forums, and a bigger thanks / credit to anyone who goes above and beyon to help with this thing and get it into the books and out onto the web. thanks guys.
- Frank
a b å Intel
a c 197 K Overclocking
April 2, 2010 11:52:59 AM

70 C is at the outer edge of acceptable core temps. Plus, remember, you are not going to be constantly operating there.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
April 2, 2010 2:22:17 PM

toodamnfrank said:
OK here is my question(s) as best as I can ask it / them, or at least attempt to and what we plan to answer; What is a "safe" temperature, using core temp 0.99.5, for an overclocked i7 920, 930, 950, 960, 965, 975, on air and maybe even underwater?

SO what I need to know is what temperature(s) are some of you getting using air and an overclocked i7 chip and the program core temp under full load with prime 95 stress testing for over 20 minutes? and what is your idle temp once you have leveled off?

and one more; do you consider your OC to be safe and 24/7 stable?

What you trying to determine is impossible because of too many variables that cannot be controlled. To make any significant contribution to the public on this subject the tests would have to be done in a controlled setting taking into account all the possible variables. So, all you need to do is purchase all the CPU's in question, then determine the exact Tjmax of said CPU's, then embed a DTS into the top center of the CPU's IHS to determine the exact Tcase temperature. Then purchase all the different heatsinks and Tim combinations that are available, then test with all the Bios possibilities for different OC's while reseating the heatsink multiple times to determine the optimum average. Then do it all over again with every case and fan combination, not to mention heatsink fan combination, ambient temperature, motherboard, video card, etc. etc. etc..

So, saying a person using CPU X, MB Y, Cooler Z at vcore T is getting X load temperature running P95 is more or less useless because without knowing all the other variables including all Bios settings, ambient temperature, case, fans, how he/she mounted the heatsink, what Tim, etc. etc. etc., it cannot be replicated.

m
l
!