Ma770-ud3 issue with Caviar Green

ekoh

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2009
Well, i have a WD Caviar Green 750 HDD, that i use in my thermaltake usb hot swap sata majigger. It works fine, slow, but works fine.

Problem is, when I tried to put in in my Rig along with my 500gig Caviar black, it doesn't detect the drive. I tried it by itself, every port, different cable, nothing. Not even in BIOS does it pick it up.

I think hmm okay, so i try some of my old SATA II drives 120 , 120 , and a 250. They all get recognized fine. Like a charm.

So i try to format the big green, then try it. Still...nothing.

Pop it back in the external USB sata,works fine.

I cant seem to find any SATA or controller drivers for this drive specifid. Any ideas why it would be doing this? It detects my WD Caviar black just fine.

any ideas?

thanks!
---------------------------------------------------------------------
8750 BE @ 2.8 14x200
Corsair XMS2 1066 2x2gb
8800GS XXX
Gigabyte MA770 UD3
Antec TPII 550w PSU in P180 case
Dvd rom and RW
x fi xtreme audio
500 GB WD Caviar Black
Zalman 9500 Cpu cooler

Swanseajack

Distinguished
May 1, 2009
Did you manage to sort this out mate as I'm having the same trouble but with a 120gig maxtor sata 1 drive, it won't show up in the bios. Same motherboard.

ekoh

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2009
yes, in your BIOS, not sure which exact section of it, i think its advanced bios settings or the like. you will see SATA 1 2 3 4 and 5 listed.
They are bundles something like

Sata 1/3 - IDE
Sata 2/4/5 -IDE

something like that.

if you have no installed windows or your OS on it yet. chance them all to AHCI, or ACHP something along those lines... its a 4 letter abbreviation none the less, you can't miss it. That will enable the drives to be read as SATA, some sata drives can be read as IDE , ours obviously cant.

If you have installed windows, and are trying to do this to a slave. Find out which SATA port it is plugged into on the mobo, and change the setting accordingly.

Swanseajack

Distinguished
May 1, 2009
Thanks for your quick reply, I'm not at home at the moment but from google my problem I did read that native IDE mode would only let you see 4 IDE devices, I have 2 IDE and 2 SATA already connected, and that turning it to AHCI would turn the sata ports all to sata, glad you got your problem fixed and sounds like I guessed right, just need to get back home and try it now lol next week sometime.

Thanks again ;)