XP boot.ini: Can't find my win2000 disk

April 4, 2004 1:01:58 AM

Ok, I have a brand new Dell 8300 with windows XP installed on the
primaryIDE/master.

This is what the boot.ini originally looked like:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS=
"Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

(last line is broken up just for this post)

Now I have my old Windows 2000 pro disk that I've added to the
primaryIDE/slave position on the IDE cable. My system regards it as E:.
All seems well enough and normal.

But I cannot seem to modify boot.ini to find it.

On my old win2000 disk, when it was the only disk in the system, it's
boot.ini OS entry was as follows:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT=
"Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

So I figured that the entry that I needed to place now in my new system,
where the XP installation is the primary/master, and my old 2000
installation is the primary/slave (and E:) , would be this:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINNT=
"Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

But it doesn't work.

My understanding was that rdisk() indicated the disk on the particular
controller. No? I've tried a few permutations without success.

Thanks.
Anonymous
April 4, 2004 3:18:16 AM

Thomas;

See if one of these helps.

HOW TO: Edit the Boot.ini File in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=289022

Boot.ini File Contains Previous Boot Options
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;225997

The Purpose of the Boot.ini File in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314081

Boot.ini File Still Contains an Entry for Windows NT 4.0 After New
Installation of Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304829

Boot.ini file has been changed after installing third party software
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;555044

Safe-Mode Boot Switches for Windows Boot.ini File
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;239780

"Invalid Boot.ini" or "Windows Could Not Start" Error Messages When You
Start Your Computer
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;330184

Bootcfg
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?u...

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:aDFbc.4422$V%3.3399@nwrdny02.gnilink.net,
Thomas G. Marshall <tgm2tothe10thpower@hotmail.replaceTextWithNumber.com>
hunted and pecked:
> Ok, I have a brand new Dell 8300 with windows XP installed on the
> primaryIDE/master.
>
> This is what the boot.ini originally looked like:
>
> [boot loader]
> timeout=30
> [operating systems]
> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS=
> "Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
>
> (last line is broken up just for this post)
>
> Now I have my old Windows 2000 pro disk that I've added to the
> primaryIDE/slave position on the IDE cable. My system regards it as
> E:. All seems well enough and normal.
>
> But I cannot seem to modify boot.ini to find it.
>
> On my old win2000 disk, when it was the only disk in the system, it's
> boot.ini OS entry was as follows:
>
> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT=
> "Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect
>
> So I figured that the entry that I needed to place now in my new
> system, where the XP installation is the primary/master, and my old
> 2000 installation is the primary/slave (and E:) , would be this:
>
> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINNT=
> "Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect
>
> But it doesn't work.
>
> My understanding was that rdisk() indicated the disk on the particular
> controller. No? I've tried a few permutations without success.
>
> Thanks.
Anonymous
April 4, 2004 8:57:38 AM

Ok, this gets even weirder.

Not one of those links you sent me is particularly clear about the roles of
disk and rdisk. There are statements that can be taken more than one way.

But one of those links actually pointed me to a concept that I tried:

bootcfg /rebuild

....which isn't a bootcfg option unless you're in the XP recovery console,
where it searches through all drives looking for operating systems and makes
appropriate mods to boot.ini

So I booted from CD, and tried that. It searches through both drives, found
both the OS's

C:\Windows (my new winXP)
E:\WINNT (my old Win2k)

So get this: "bootcfg /rebuild" added the following line

scsi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT=
"Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

WTF??????????????????????????

This is /not/ what disk() is supposed to mean, as near as I can tell. And
WHY did it chose "scsi()" and not "multi()" like it should (both are IDE)!

I tried some more permutations, like changing "scsi()" to "multi()".
Nothing works.

AND THIS WAS WHAT THE RECOVERY CONSOLE "BOOTCFG" CAME UP WITH!

Total confusion.

Am I screwed out of getting my e:/WINNT windows 2000 install from working
because it was originally it's own C:, or something?

Thanks in advance.

> Thomas;
>
> See if one of these helps.
>
> HOW TO: Edit the Boot.ini File in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=289022
>
> Boot.ini File Contains Previous Boot Options
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;225997
>
> The Purpose of the Boot.ini File in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314081
>
> Boot.ini File Still Contains an Entry for Windows NT 4.0 After New
> Installation of Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304829
>
> Boot.ini file has been changed after installing third party software
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;555044
>
> Safe-Mode Boot Switches for Windows Boot.ini File
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;239780
>
> "Invalid Boot.ini" or "Windows Could Not Start" Error Messages When You
> Start Your Computer
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;330184
>
> Bootcfg

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?u...
ol/winxppro/proddocs/bootcfg.asp

> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
> Wes
>
> In news:aDFbc.4422$V%3.3399@nwrdny02.gnilink.net,
> Thomas G. Marshall <tgm2tothe10thpower@hotmail.replaceTextWithNumber.com>
> hunted and pecked:
> > Ok, I have a brand new Dell 8300 with windows XP installed on the
> > primaryIDE/master.
> >
> > This is what the boot.ini originally looked like:
> >
> > [boot loader]
> > timeout=30
> > default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
> > [operating systems]
> > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS=
> > "Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
> >
> > (last line is broken up just for this post)
> >
> > Now I have my old Windows 2000 pro disk that I've added to the
> > primaryIDE/slave position on the IDE cable. My system regards it as
> > E:. All seems well enough and normal.
> >
> > But I cannot seem to modify boot.ini to find it.
> >
> > On my old win2000 disk, when it was the only disk in the system, it's
> > boot.ini OS entry was as follows:
> >
> > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT=
> > "Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect
> >
> > So I figured that the entry that I needed to place now in my new
> > system, where the XP installation is the primary/master, and my old
> > 2000 installation is the primary/slave (and E:) , would be this:
> >
> > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINNT=
> > "Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect
> >
> > But it doesn't work.
> >
> > My understanding was that rdisk() indicated the disk on the particular
> > controller. No? I've tried a few permutations without success.
> >
> > Thanks.

Anonymous
April 4, 2004 5:11:00 PM

I don't have an actual answer. I do have some more reading
for you. :-)

BOOT.INI and ARC Path Naming Conventions and Usage
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;102873

Windows May Use Signature() Syntax in the Boot.ini File
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;227704

One Installed Operating System Is Missing from the Startup Menu in a
Multiple-Boot Computer
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307061

Purpose of the BOOT.INI File in Windows 2000 or Windows NT
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;99743

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes