Long beep sound in computer on wake up from sleep

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robform

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
Just recently, on waking up from Sleep by moving mouse, a three-second beep in the computer sounds, as the computer wakes correctly.
How do I remove that sound; how might it have begun so unexpectedly?
I recently did a repair from the Windows back-up. It may have started then.
Thanks for any ideas.
Robin

Solution

Robin, this is also happening to me. My PC is 2 years old. I am not sure if it is new since I only started using sleep with Win7. I never trusted Vista. It has been bugging me for a few weeks not knowing if it indicated a problem, but Eureka! I have found it with some help from Gigabyte.
If you turn off the fan fail warnings in the BIOS it goes away!
On my system if either CPU Fan fail, or System Fan2 fail warning is on, or both...

bbrener1

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011

Robin, this is also happening to me. My PC is 2 years old. I am not sure if it is new since I only started using sleep with Win7. I never trusted Vista. It has been bugging me for a few weeks not knowing if it indicated a problem, but Eureka! I have found it with some help from Gigabyte.
If you turn off the fan fail warnings in the BIOS it goes away!
On my system if either CPU Fan fail, or System Fan2 fail warning is on, or both then this 3 second beep happens. Not sure if its intentional warning, or the fan takes 3 seconds to spin up. On my PC, System Fan1 warning set to enabled does NOT trigger the beep sound and my system fans are identical Coolermasters.
I am no longer concerned, and I choose to live with the beep rather than turn off my fan fail warnings.
There are many programs (e.g. Speedfan) that will alert to fan failure if you prefer to turn them off in the BIOS.
Brian

Solution

Robform

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
Hey, Brian --
You smacked it right on the Kisser (phrase from an ancient boyhood!). I recalled as I read you reply, that I had also fiddled around with the fan/heat warnings in the Integrated Peripherals of BIOS, thinking I knew best, of course. But you have fixed the beep. Thank you very much for letting me know. Oh, and I have a Gigabyte MB, also.

One other thing, I might put on Tom's, too is that even more recently, windows asking me what I want to do with the two partitions on the main HDD and the DVD/CD player. The only way I can stop them appearing is to turn off Auto Run, which means that when I put in a DVD nothing happens. I have to go to the folder for it. Anyway, it's not a bad thing, and an answer may pop up as I fiddle while the CPU burns (another ancient and worn-out comment from an Emperor’s time, if I recall.)
Anyway, foolishness aside, I do thank you.

Robin.

bbrener1

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011

I'm not quite sure what you mean by that. What do you mean 'what to do with the partitions?' I never use autoplay since I put in too many different kinds, usually blank, but sometimes CD's; sometimes data; sometimes bootable so I can see what's on it. If I put in a movie or CD, I just start the relevant program and let it find it and start e.g. Media Player. Don't need to go to the folder

If you wouldn't mind doing some testing, I would be curious to know which fan warnings are giving you the beep and which are not (might be more than one).
Also not sure I can continue to use sleep (not hybrid). Couple of times now it hasn't recovered. The light comes on and the disk light clicks on and off, stuck in a 'loop'.
Have to power cycle. Once I even got a 'bios is corrupted - reloading from CMOS message' which really worried me. Not sure if my mobo is faulty. I tried a program called Wake on Standby' which is really powerful (let me wake the PC in the middle of the night to backups and then go back to sleep) and I thought it was the culprit, but Windows just did it on its own.
Brian

Robform

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
Thanks again, Brian, for your response.
System Fan 1 Fail Warning (not 2 - there is no 2nd fan on my computer), when disabled produces the 3-second beep. None of the others when disabled produce the sound. I do notice that my Fan 1 runs at 1100 RPM, not 1200 RPM as do the other two. Maybe it's old or sticky and so, as you suggested, takes time to get up to speed.
I don't like the sound of some of your other problems! I wish I had answers to them for you. But you may just have to wait and see what happens?
My wording re the other problem was indeed ambiguous. I did not mention that the partitions are ones I made on a recently added, external USB HDD. So I assume now that Auto Play sees the HDD(and its partitions) as external sources to be examined/played. I don't think there is a problem, and I'll just leave everything as it is.

Thanks again. But let's know if you have any success with your difficulties. (I'm in Melbourne, AU)
Robin.

bbrener1

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
I think you mean 'enabled'. Also, there's no 2nd fan , but you mention 'the other two', so that implies you have 2 in addition to the CPU fan. Very confusing.

My CPU fan is mobo controlled and it changes speed based on temp. My back fan (System Fan 1) runs at about 1140 rpm. It fluctuates very slightly. The speed is actually measured as a voltage and so cannot be completely accurate. My side fan (System Fan 2) runs at around 750-800rpm but I''ve seen it as high as 900rpm. Haven't figured it out, but I think it must be mobo controlled to some degree and the voltage is reduced although I have never been able to speed it up with anything. There are no BIOS settings. I don't worry about it, as long as it is working. I have turned off my fan fail warning and figured out how to use Speedfan to send alarms and messages for fan speed and CPU/GPU temp.
That issue happened to me again when I woke up this morning and later today again, but the PC sleeps every hour and many times its fine. Puzzling.
Every time you plug in a device (USB HDD; Flash drive; load a CD) autoplay will pop up if not disabled. When you create a partition it sees a new device.

Robform

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
Yes, Brian, "enabled" is correct.
The computer has one CPU fan, one power supply fan, and one rear cabinet/box fan - 3 altogether.
All is right now. Thanks once again.
Robin

bbrener1

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011

Thanks. My PSU has a fan too, but its independent and not hooked to my mobo, so no speed reading nor seen by the BIOS.
Good talking to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.