Sign in with
Your question

Graphics Card Fps Problem

Last response: in Overclocking
April 2, 2010 8:43:26 AM

I've been playing this online game called Urban Terror Quake 3 Modification. As I start the game the fps runs along the lines of 90fps my resolution is 800x600 and all of a sudden it drops to the low 20-40fps. Does anybody know why?
I am running a Windows Vista Home
2GB Memory
I have an Intel Pentium 4 running at 3GHZ This Chip is 65 NM This chip is operating at around 80+F
Is this normal?
I'm running a RADEON x850 Crossfire Edition Video card.
Thanks For The Feedback!
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
April 2, 2010 9:19:11 AM

Your pentium 4 is your main problem just about everything out these days needs a dual core. I know you may think that geez I am running 3ghz this should fly but the old Pentium 4s are very inefficient at useing it. A core 2 useing 1 core could run at 2 ghz and still be faster then your Pentium 4 so its time for an upgrade. Your temp for it are a bit high I would say you probably need to clean out the dust from the heatsink and fan.
a c 106 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
April 2, 2010 5:42:37 PM

Quake 3 isn't exactly a demanding game anymore and an 800x600 resolution is pretty low. If it always happens under certain conditions in the game, then perhaps the mod is just poorly coded and that PC can't keep up. If it happens randomly, as far as game play, It more likely has to do with the fact that you only have 2GB of RAM and are using Vista.

The automatic updating feature can greatly slow down older PCs, so you may want to turn it off and just manually check for updates once a week (patch Tuesday). If you're using an Antivirus program that could also be the issue because it could be scanning your PC at random intervals. Make sure you disable any programs or services you're not using that are hogging memory. You could also just get more RAM ^_^
Related resources
April 2, 2010 11:30:17 PM

saaiello said:
Your pentium 4 is your main problem just about everything out these days needs a dual core. I know you may think that geez I am running 3ghz this should fly but the old Pentium 4s are very inefficient at useing it. A core 2 useing 1 core could run at 2 ghz and still be faster then your Pentium 4 so its time for an upgrade. Your temp for it are a bit high I would say you probably need to clean out the dust from the heatsink and fan.

Mhmm well, do you think there is another way to go at this other then upgrading to a dual core? I don't know much about computers and I don't know the cost on the dual cores but I'm hoping not to spend much money to get my computer running better.
Another thing, so you think that if I simply clean all the dust off inside the computer it will cool the temp. down?
[P.S.] I don't know much about computers, sorry about the questions.
a b K Overclocking
April 8, 2010 8:21:02 AM

Yes If you clean it out you will definately Get Lower temps... but as the general concensus suggests; its time for an upgrade. talk to your technician he'll give you some options.

Good Luck
!