HDD to pendrive transfer rate too low.

tomtz

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
Hello,there is an unusual problem with my pc and i need a fix.My hard disk to pendrive copying speed all of a sudden dropped.now i am getting only around 5-7 mbps.now for filling any pendrive it takes double or even triple the time compared to the past.but there is no problem when copying from pendrive to harddisk.i completely formated the hdd,reinstalled OS,tried different os(xp,xpx64,win7etc), its still the same.my system configs are 1gb ddr2 ram,intel dual core e2140,160 gb segate sata2,intel 82945gcnl chipset,nvidia 8400gs 512mb ddr2 64bit.can it be the problem of motherboard???

smart_monkey

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010
It might be some part of the pen drives writing system (or the harddrives reading system) that might not be working properly from excessive use (pen drive). I have also found when copying many files (not single large files) it takes longer as each time it has to find/get the contents of the new file, not just the continuation of the reading stream.

As what you could do to find the problem, try another pen drive and try the one that isn't working on another computer.

sub mesa

Distinguished
Check the alignment of the pendrive partition; it should be aligned just like SSDs. Downloading and using AS SSD on the drive may tell you if its aligned; it will say "1024K - OK" meaning it is properly aligned.

Without alignment, writes will take much longer and the lifetime of the product is shortened.

tomtz

Distinguished
May 5, 2010

i tried not only with ma pendrive,but with different ones,but still the same.i know that copying many small files takes time but in my case it takes more time than usual.i even disconnected the front pannel usb,and checked the back ports but still the same.i cleaned up mother board and all other hardware.i now also found that the computer clock is shoeing errors(wrong time).is there some prob with ma cmos battery which is responsible for this ?

tomtz

Distinguished
May 5, 2010

for ma harddisk's benghmark it shows a 20482875k-bad,gives read speed=66.16mbps,write speed 62.89mbps ,for pendrive its 16k-bad,write speed 5.08mb,read 21.01mb,respectively.how to fix this??

tomtz

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
for ma harddisk's benghmark it shows a 20482875k-bad,gives read speed=66.16mbps,write speed 62.89mbps ,for pendrive its 16k-bad,write speed 5.08mb,read 21.01mb,respectively.how to fix this??

smart_monkey

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010
Your CMOS battery would be the most likely cause of clock showing the wrong time. I don't know about alignment of pendrive partitions but 66mbps read speed is very slow which could simply mean a faulty pendrive or the inevitable death of the pendrive.

Try the pendrive in another computer and run the test again. Could be a damaged mobo or harddrive link but I would think if either case, it wouldn't just be slow read/write speed, there would be some bigger more noticeable problem.

sub mesa

Distinguished
The fix alignment issues; backup anything on the drive and re-create the partition table (MBR). windows 7 should create proper partitions; check with AS SSD if it says 1024K - OK now as it should.

If it doesn't, you may want to use another partition program, like GParted/PartedMagic.