Sign in with
Your question

Corsair H50 or Coolit ECO ALC

Last response: in Overclocking
April 2, 2010 2:23:46 PM

Hi guys,

this is the built i'm planning to get very soon :

- Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Intel X58 (Socket 1366) DDR3 Motherboard
- Intel Core i7 975 3.33Ghz (Nehalem) Extreme Edition (Socket LGA1366)
- Mushkin Enhanced Redline 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
- Intel X25-M Mainstream 80GB 2.5" SATA-II Solid State Hard Drive
- Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB SATA-II 64MB Cache - OEM
- Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 5870 Vapor-X 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card
- Samsung SH-B083L/RSBP 8x BluRay ROM / 16x DVD±RW Drive - Black (Retail)
- Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit - OEM
- Corsair Obsidian 800D Full Tower Case - Black
- BeQuiet Dark Power Pro P8 750W Modular Power Supply
- OcUK Value 2.5" to 3.5" Hard Drive Adapter
- + 2/3 Akasa AK-FN058 Apache Black Super Silent 120mm Fan - 4 Pin PWM [AK-FN058] for the case fans

My main concern is the noise and i really would like this config to be quiet, even if i'm not ready to go for a completely silent built with full watercooling stuff on CPU and GPU etc...

After considering a couple of reviews i think i'll definitely go for one these liquid cooling kits :

- http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=WC...
- http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS...

They seem easy to install and to match good air cooling perfs, at least to a level that is pretty much acceptable to me as i'm not likely to OC a lot. And they remove the risk of traditional water cooling builts for newbies like me...
Then should i go for the Corsair H50 or the Coolit ALC one, i'm not sure at the moment. Corsair product seems pretty much reliable in its built, what bothers me is that it seems to draw air into the case, which might be counter-productive towards the other fans of the case and be an issue on air flow optimization for the rest of the components in the case... Then i read also a couple of bad experiences installing the Coolit one to make sure the contact is well done with the CPU, and it seems that the H50 is easier to install.
But i'm pretty sure now that i'll go for one of these 2. Just wanted to get any recommendations from the community :) 
Thanks very much !
PS : any advice on the rest of the config is very welcome too :) 
a b K Overclocking
April 2, 2010 2:46:50 PM

uruquiora said:

My main concern is the noise and i really would like this config to be quiet, even if i'm not ready to go for a completely silent built with full watercooling stuff on CPU and GPU etc...

Well, I'm NOT a big fan of the all-in-one WC kits for an i7 system. It's performance is borderline at best and can easily be bettered by high end air. That being said, these kits are not silent, you still need dual fans on the radiator for any kind of performance, fans make noise.

Your choice of CPU is debatable considering you can get a 960 for $400 less or a 930 for $700 less and OC either to 3.33 Ghz or above. IF money is no object, you might as well get the i7 980X.

April 2, 2010 3:04:59 PM

RJR said:
Well, I'm NOT a big fan of the all-in-one WC kits for an i7 system. It's performance is borderline at best and can easily be bettered by high end air. That being said, these kits are not silent, you still need dual fans on the radiator for any kind of performance, fans make noise.

Your choice of CPU is debatable considering you can get a 960 for $400 less or a 930 for $700 less and OC either to 3.33 Ghz or above. IF money is no object, you might as well get the i7 980X.

Hey, thanks for your feedback :) 
so apparently i could get a nice cooling perf as well as low noise build with high-end air cooling kits then ?
Could you recommend me a model so i could take a closer look to that option ?
thanks vm :) 
As for the CPU, would the 980 really have any real interest in such a build, as no apps can take advantage of all the threads atm ? i'm not sure of my choice for the CPU actually and your point is good, i could also for a lower price one and OC it quite easily it seems...

Related resources
a b K Overclocking
April 2, 2010 4:17:29 PM

uruquiora said:
Hey, thanks for your feedback :) 
so apparently i could get a nice cooling perf as well as low noise build with high-end air cooling kits then ?
Could you recommend me a model so i could take a closer look to that option ?
thanks vm :) 
As for the CPU, would the 980 really have any real interest in such a build, as no apps can take advantage of all the threads atm ? i'm not sure of my choice for the CPU actually and your point is good, i could also for a lower price one and OC it quite easily it seems...

Eh...

1. No, high end air cooling+quiet never goes together. High end air cooling also requires the use of high quality fans, which are loud.

2. You don't need 6 cores, nor do you need the 975. Unless your doing it for media editing (videos/sound mostly). An i7-920 overclocked is more then enough. Even if you are doing media editing for sound/videos, I only recommend purchasing the 6 core if your actually making a lot of money from video/sound editing, for gaming and other things there isn't a difference.

3. Corsair H50> Coolit ECO. If I remember correctly Coolit ECO ALC suffers from bad quality control.
a b K Overclocking
April 2, 2010 5:30:53 PM

AsAnAtheist said:
1. No, high end air cooling+quiet never goes together. High end air cooling also requires the use of high quality fans, which are loud.

Not completely true, the Megahelms gives you the opportunity to select a fan(s) that both gives you the option of extreme cooler or quiet operation. My system is an i7 860 @ 4.0 Ghz with an Megahalems and only one 1900 rpm fan giving me more than acceptable temps and noise output. You can go with two fans if needed for additional cooling. My video card's fan is the noisiest part of my build.
The NH-D14 comes with twin fans and isn't that noisy either, but is a very large cooler.
The H50 will only be acceptable temp wise with two higher cfm fans and thus an increase in noise and still will not equal the performance of the two air cooling options I've given and there are more.
a b K Overclocking
April 2, 2010 8:11:45 PM

^+1. You can get a pretty damn quiet system if you combine a Meg/TRUE,etc with a Scythe Gentle Typhoons or Scythe Slipstreams or some Yate Loons.
a c 145 K Overclocking
April 2, 2010 8:31:18 PM

Proilimatech recommends fans at 800 - 1200 rpm.

http://www.prolimatech.com/products/cpu_cooler/megahale...

Minimal air resistance between fins allowing best balance between noise and performance in range of 800-1200RPM. For all out performance, fan RPM at 1600 or above is recommended.

I am running twin Enermax magmas at 83% of their 1500 rpm rated speed and they are inaudible. If i had to do it again, I'd use PWm fans.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/10026/fan-639/Scythe_...

At "everyday" OC profile (3.7 Ghz) temps are mid 50's....At 4.2 - 4.4 Ghz profiles, temps are low 70's.

I see the Corsair H50 and Cool It things as cool gimmicks but not having a place in serious cooling.

a b K Overclocking
April 2, 2010 8:52:50 PM

@JackNaylor, what CPU are you using? i7-920?

As far as quiet high performance air cooling goes, sure it's great, but still does not match using high rpm, high CFM fans like some panaflo's (if you can bear the noise). Thats what I was referring my self to when I smoke of high performance air cooling. NOT yate loons, s flexes, and other low noise high performance fans. My respect to PWM fans, they sure are something.

Corsair H50/ALC can close the gap the high performance air coolers and low noise high performance air coolers by using high performance fans in a double pull configuration with a good 25-50mm shroud. Configuring the Corsair H50 with a Swiftech 240mm rad yields even more performance, beating even some of the highest end air configurations available.

I know Overshocked gave the Asetek cooler a shot with the 240mm radiator and was not as successful as people first thought it would be..
However, Sexybastard went ahead and actually used the Corsair H50 for the test with a 240mm swiftech rad (his pump died but it is inconclusive as of why, he was taking it apart put back together=failed):
http://www.overclock.net/water-cooling/629298-mod-corsa...
Then later modded to do a dual 120mm radiator with multiple with a new H50 and had better results:
http://www.overclock.net/8489163-post3783.html

I honestly don't like the Corsair H50, only reason I use it is because I am part of a niche that demands his 2 dimm memory slots back. However even past the resentment I have for it's imitation water cooling, I am very surprised it was able to perform more admirably then my previous Sunbeam CCF120m.
a c 86 K Overclocking
April 3, 2010 2:48:42 AM

The H50 stock almost beats the TOP air coolers.

You put two 120mm 100 CFM fans in push/pull on the rad and pull cooler room air into the case (backwards for most cases, you have to redo all your case fans) and it's better than any standard air cooler rig. It's as loud as a top air rig, but somehwat better temps.

It's not as good as proper watercooling. But cooling a hot modern CPU custom loop is over $250. Thats the difference. Custom watercooling will ensure great temps at pretty much silent noise levels.

I have a BIG CPU loop, and even a seperate loop for my two 280 GTX in SLI.

My temps at 75F room temps, I7 965 D0 at stock under testing loads is in the LOW 50C range. Did I mention that my PSU fan is the loudest???? Granted my CPU loop is over $300 easy.

BTW, my rig.
http://www.overclockers.com/annual-water-cooling-cleani...
Full on watercooling is expensive. But the benefits are great.
a b K Overclocking
April 3, 2010 3:00:21 AM

Conumdrum said:
The H50 stock almost beats the TOP air coolers.

You put two 120mm 100 CFM fans in push/pull on the rad and pull cooler room air into the case (backwards for most cases, you have to redo all your case fans) and it's better than any standard air cooler rig. It's as loud as a top air rig, but somehwat better temps.

It's not as good as proper watercooling. But cooling a hot modern CPU custom loop is over $250. Thats the difference. Custom watercooling will ensure great temps at pretty much silent noise levels.

I have a BIG CPU loop, and even a seperate loop for my two 280 GTX in SLI.

My temps at 75F room temps, I7 965 D0 at stock under testing loads is in the LOW 50C range. Did I mention that my PSU fan is the loudest???? Granted my CPU loop is over $300 easy.

BTW, my rig.
http://www.overclockers.com/annual-water-cooling-cleani...
Full on watercooling is expensive. But the benefits are great.

+1

Basically. Btw you really gotta stop putting your rig. Your going to make water cooling popular, thus making the already rare parts, rarer. (specifically the kits)
a c 86 K Overclocking
April 3, 2010 3:27:18 AM

Woo ho, get rid of the max promise, max failure Koolance, ThermalTake, H50, and others?

You think my help would kill those multi million advertising workups?

Naa. Watercooling comes in two flavors. Fail and too expensive. Your pick..
a c 145 K Overclocking
April 5, 2010 9:33:11 PM

AsAnAtheist said:
@JackNaylor, what CPU are you using? i7-920?

yes....all fans inaudible at 83% speed (1200 rpm)
April 23, 2010 5:59:28 PM

I have a Cooler Master V8 and replaced it with HD 50 and I am 6-7 degrees C. cooler with i7-920 at 3.8 ghz on a giagabyte x58A-UD7 in a cooler master 840 case. On the overclockers forum HD50 gets good reviews. I am using push/pull. Sooo fans are important. I did not use the stock fan that corsair provides. There is no info on the fan. Avoid any fan that you can't get specifications for.

I am using a combination of CM Excalibur for push and NF-P12 for pull. There is a couple of things to look for in selecting a fan for this set up. For push you want a fan with a high static pressure like over 3.00. Static pressure is the ability of the fan to overcome resistance. You won't find that out SP unless you visit the manufacturer's website. The Excalibur is approx. at 3.5 while the NF-P12 1.68. Both fans have high m3/h out put at 86 and 92 m3/h respectively. I won't worry about RPM's. Low rpms and high CF and static pressure are good.

Noise is another issue entirely. The Excalbur is superior but it is noisey at 30 decibles. Two were too much for me and that is why I use the NF-P12. It has a rating of 19. It is very quite but is static pressure is not that great.

Another thing, the NF-P12 has a life of 150,000 hrs before failure and the Excalibur at 100,000. The NF-P12 has six year gurantee. Others are much less at 30,000 hrs. The bearing type is also important and reduces noise. Oil pressure bearing is better than ball. So be carefull when selecting and know what your getting.

Some say you shouldn't get two different fans but I don't know why. The fact that both fans are doing two different things and that there is a radiator in between negates the arguement that both fans need to be the same.

The cooler master case is superior. It give you alot of flexibility, plenty of places for fans and plenty of room for good airflow. Good airflow is so important to CPU but to all cooling issues GPU, RAM, etc. A good case will give you years of service. Likely you will replace everything inside before the case. Spend your money here and you will be happy with any set up. Oh, I also got the case with the clear side panel. It is an extra cost. I want to see my hardware working. It is pretty thick so I don't really think it could ever contribute to noise in any meausrable amount.

The HD works well in a good case and good fans, and is superior to a highend aircooler. I am going to push this guy to 4.2 ghz soon.
a b K Overclocking
April 23, 2010 7:26:51 PM

markooo said:
I have a Cooler Master V8 and replaced it with HD 50 and I am 6-7 degrees C. cooler with i7-920 at 3.8 ghz
I experienced the same when replacing a Xigmatek1284 with the H50 on an I7-860 at 3.8, temps maxed at 66ºC
I am using push/pull. said:
I am using push/pull.
Same here
I did not use the stock fan that corsair provides. said:
I did not use the stock fan that corsair provides.
I use the stock fan on the push side , runs at around 1560 RPMs and a Coolermaster on the pull side at about 1720 RPM's
I am going to push this guy to 4.2 ghz soon. said:
I am going to push this guy to 4.2 ghz soon.

I wouldn't.
I put the same setup on an I7- 930 at 3.8, temps in the mid 70's, and now have it on an I7- 965 at 3.8, temps in the low to mid 80's.
All on a techstation in a 22ºC room, so case airflow isn't a concern.

I like the H50, will probably put it on my Q9650 when I set up the WC loop for whatever ends up staying on my techstation, but no way I'd use it for higher oc's than I've tried it with.
April 23, 2010 7:37:31 PM

delluser1 said:
I experienced the same when replacing a Xigmatek1284 with the H50 on an I7-860 at 3.8, temps maxed at 66ºC Same here I use the stock fan on the push side , runs at around 1560 RPMs and a Coolermaster on the pull side at about 1720 RPM's

I wouldn't.
I put the same setup on an I7- 930 at 3.8, temps in the mid 70's, and now have it on an I7- 965 at 3.8, temps in the low to mid 80's.
All on a techstation in a 22ºC room, so case airflow isn't a concern.

I like the H50, will probably put it on my Q9650 when I set up the WC loop for whatever ends up staying on my techstation, but no way I'd use it for higher oc's than I've tried it with.

I am running below 40c at idle and less than 60c and 50c when playing WOW with all the setting on high. I am happy
!