Sign in with
Your question

Phenom II x3 720 vs Phonem 9950, which is better vaule?

Last response: in CPUs
February 19, 2009 4:18:43 PM

HI

Just wondering what people think is the better one as i can get both for around the same price.

I need it for my step son to play games on while using the main PC. He mainly plays things like dawn of war n C&C etc.

Apart from the main difference of one being a tri core & the other a quad. Is there a lot of other difference, yeah i know the 720 can be used with DDR3 but im not going that route yet as it costs to much.

Dose the phenom II perform better than a Phenom 1?
I know they both can over OC very well but dose anyone know which one OC's the most.
Is it better to go for a 720 so i can upgrade to DDR3 + ,/board when iv got the money or would it be better to get the 9950 OC it + with the extra core it will help i guess if he starts multi tasking. An just upgrade to a new CPU & DDR3 once he games dont run that smoothly any more

An if you need to know he is using a 9800GT graphics card at the moment

Cheers
February 19, 2009 4:27:07 PM

x3 720 by a mile. i am not sold on the quad core mantra and really scoffed at the triple cripple concept initially but the 720 really impresses me. attractive price, performance. nothing wrong with the 9950 per say but i think you would be better off with the 720.
February 19, 2009 5:06:51 PM

Thank you for your opinion,

I do agree the 720 looks impressive, & the benchmarks look really good for it. I asked the question cos i was wondering if the system would benfit from the extra core in the 9950, but as games dont use all the cores at the mo guess there will not be much difference .

There is only £8 difference is price between the two of them.

Before i made my post i was siding more towards the 720, after the couple of reviews iv read

Il wait to see if anyone else replies with there opinion before i place my order in the next few days

Cheers
Related resources
February 19, 2009 5:09:46 PM

good luck with your choice. i don't think you would be hurting either way but if i have a choice, i will always go after the faster, newer tech.
a b à CPUs
February 19, 2009 6:04:35 PM

The x3 overclocks way better than the 9950. Its faster clock for clock. The stock speed is 200mhz higher. There is no reason what so ever to get any Phenom 1. The only time the 9950 will beat the 720 in anything is if the app is fully using all 4 cores.

At this point in time any AMD cpu purchase that isnt a Phenom II cpu is foolish. Minus HTPCs and very lowe budget builds of course. But once you start comparing the higher end AMD's its a no brainer.
!