ATI drivers don't load when Q9400 is OC'd at a certain point.....

Um ok weird. I OC'd my q9400 to 460x8 at 1.225v and ran Intelburn on maximum and it was stable. I jumped up to 470x8 at 1.225 and my vid drivers don't load in Windows.

Back down to 460x8 at 1.225v and everything is fine.

Any ideas on why?

Gig EP45-UD3P FE
Q9400
Dual 5770 in Crossfire
4gb mem
64bit Win 7
12 answers Last reply
More about drivers load q9400 point
  1. Eh I guess I answered my own question. I pumped the vcore up to 1.25v and it's working at 470x8 now.

How does vcore have anything to do with gpu drivers loading. My gpus aren't OC'd at all yet.
  2. Most recommend installing drivers and updating the BIOS at stock settings to prevent potential install/flash problems. Even on a stable OCed system, there can be installation problems that are often difficult to detect and solve later.
  3. treefrog07 said:
    Most recommend installing drivers and updating the BIOS at stock settings to prevent potential install/flash problems. Even on a stable OCed system, there can be installation problems that are often difficult to detect and solve later.

Drivers were already loaded with all stock settings before any OCing.
  4. Did you lock the PCI frequency at 100?

Have you run extended stress tests with prime95? What about memory tests with memtest86+?
  5. cadder said:
    Did you lock the PCI frequency at 100?

Have you run extended stress tests with prime95? What about memory tests with memtest86+?

102 on PCIE frequency.

I have not run extended tests with prime95.
  6. Quote:
    You seem to contradict yourself. First you say you can't load drivers AFTER overclocking, yet here you say the drivers were loaded BEFORE you overclocked.

Makes no sense.

I think you misunderstood me. Windows would not load the drivers on boot up. Windows came up in a safe mode type video mode.

My guess is that it is a voltage issue somewhere. Possibly my 600w PS isn't enough.
  7. Any ideas?
  8. Once I drop back down to 460x8 everything is fine. Prime95 runs with 0 errors for 24h+ with low temps. GPU torture tests run fine at 460x8 too. I'm clueless.

Screen shot

9. I had a similar issue when i OC'd My PC. I just Re-installed the catalyst drivers and now everything is running stable

Good luck
  10. New power supply fixed this issue
  11. My power supply failed. It wasn't under rated.
  12. Ouch, That sucks...

Enjoy...:D
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Drivers ATI Overclocking