formating NTFS

April 3, 2004 5:41:38 PM

Is there any way possible to format a hard drive that has
previously been partition'd with NTFS? I have a Maxtor
80gig hard drive, and its showing only one partition at
10781 Mbytes. Please give me the answer before I play a
$2,000 game of computer baseball! Thanks.

More about : formating ntfs

Anonymous
April 3, 2004 7:57:27 PM

The following assumes you have a retail XP CD as opposed to some proprietary
OEM disk:
Assuming your system is set to boot from the CD-ROM drive, boot with the XP
CD in the drive. If it isn't or you are not sure, you need to enter the
system's BIOS. When you boot the system, the first screen usually has
instructions that if you wish to enter setup press a specific key, when you
see that, do so. Then you will have to navigate to the boot sequence, if
the CD-ROM drive is not first line, set it first in the boot sequence. Save
your settings and exit with the XP CD in the drive. The system will reboot.

A few screens into the boot process, if you see the message on the boot
screen to "Press any key in order to boot from the CD," do so.

After loading drivers and files, you should be taken to a screen with
the following:

To Setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.
To Repair a Windows XP Installation using Recovery Console press R.
To Quit setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

In your case, press ENTER.

Agree to the License agreement by pressing F8.

You will then be taken to a screen with two options.

To repair the selected Windows XP installation press R.
To continue installing a fresh copy of Windows XP without repairing,
press ESC.

This will bring you to a partition map where you
can delete, create and format partitions.
Select the drive you wish to format, delete the partition, then create a new
partition, format as desired and continue with XP installation.

--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

"seanyboy812" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is there any way possible to format a hard drive that has
> previously been partition'd with NTFS? I have a Maxtor
> 80gig hard drive, and its showing only one partition at
> 10781 Mbytes. Please give me the answer before I play a
> $2,000 game of computer baseball! Thanks.
Anonymous
April 6, 2004 12:33:32 AM

tried using network wizzard, internet connection,
installing the driver, even after windows found new
hardware and nothing. Before this last reinstallation it
would show a connection but it would'nt connect. Please
help on this one.
April 6, 2004 12:50:37 AM

connecting to the internet. (sorry, as you can tell I'm
new to this stuff...Gotta start somewhere!) So...I have a
wireless Linksys cable modem and a D-link plug in cable
modem. After I installed XP, I turned off the comp. and
incerted the D-link modem. The new hardware wizzard
started and the connection wizzard started. So I tried to
connect with that and ....nothing. So I tried installing
the driver from the D-link product, and still , nothing.
The main computer that I installed the router driver on is
working and it's pluged into the router, so it's not the
router.....Please help me.

Anonymous
April 6, 2004 5:05:28 AM

Did you uninstall the wired modem before installing the Wireless modem?

--

> [...]
Anonymous
April 7, 2004 1:49:09 AM

No, I installed XP, turned off comp., installed wired
cable modem, went threw the wizzard stuff...nothing.
Havent connected to try to install the wireless modem.

Anonymous
April 7, 2004 5:09:25 PM

Have you tried contacting the modem manufacturers tech support on this
issue?

--

> No, I installed XP, turned off comp., installed wired
> cable modem, went threw the wizzard stuff...nothing.
> Havent connected to try to install the wireless modem.

Anonymous
April 8, 2004 1:16:35 AM

no, there is no contacts.

Anonymous
April 8, 2004 2:06:30 AM

Well, somebody supplied you with the modem, if it was your ISP, contact
them, if it was a retail establishment, contact them.

The only other thing I can think of beyond what we've already mentioned is
if you have any security software, antivirus, firewall, etc. be sure all are
turned off before running the wizard, you may have to disable them so they
won't load when booting.

--

!