formating NTFS

Is there any way possible to format a hard drive that has
previously been partition'd with NTFS? I have a Maxtor
80gig hard drive, and its showing only one partition at
10781 Mbytes. Please give me the answer before I play a
$2,000 game of computer baseball! Thanks.
8 answers Last reply
More about formating ntfs

    The following assumes you have a retail XP CD as opposed to some proprietary
    OEM disk:
    Assuming your system is set to boot from the CD-ROM drive, boot with the XP
    CD in the drive. If it isn't or you are not sure, you need to enter the
    system's BIOS. When you boot the system, the first screen usually has
    instructions that if you wish to enter setup press a specific key, when you
    see that, do so. Then you will have to navigate to the boot sequence, if
    the CD-ROM drive is not first line, set it first in the boot sequence. Save
    your settings and exit with the XP CD in the drive. The system will reboot.

    A few screens into the boot process, if you see the message on the boot
    screen to "Press any key in order to boot from the CD," do so.

    After loading drivers and files, you should be taken to a screen with
    the following:

    To Setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.
    To Repair a Windows XP Installation using Recovery Console press R.
    To Quit setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

    In your case, press ENTER.

    Agree to the License agreement by pressing F8.

    You will then be taken to a screen with two options.

    To repair the selected Windows XP installation press R.
    To continue installing a fresh copy of Windows XP without repairing,
    press ESC.

    This will bring you to a partition map where you
    can delete, create and format partitions.
    Select the drive you wish to format, delete the partition, then create a new
    partition, format as desired and continue with XP installation.

    --
    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    "seanyboy812" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Is there any way possible to format a hard drive that has
    > previously been partition'd with NTFS? I have a Maxtor
    > 80gig hard drive, and its showing only one partition at
    > 10781 Mbytes. Please give me the answer before I play a
    > $2,000 game of computer baseball! Thanks.

    tried using network wizzard, internet connection,
    installing the driver, even after windows found new
    hardware and nothing. Before this last reinstallation it
    would show a connection but it would'nt connect. Please
    help on this one.

    connecting to the internet. (sorry, as you can tell I'm
    new to this stuff...Gotta start somewhere!) So...I have a
    wireless Linksys cable modem and a D-link plug in cable
    modem. After I installed XP, I turned off the comp. and
    incerted the D-link modem. The new hardware wizzard
    started and the connection wizzard started. So I tried to
    connect with that and ....nothing. So I tried installing
    the driver from the D-link product, and still , nothing.
    The main computer that I installed the router driver on is
    working and it's pluged into the router, so it's not the
    router.....Please help me.

    Did you uninstall the wired modem before installing the Wireless modem?

    --

> [...]

    No, I installed XP, turned off comp., installed wired
    cable modem, went threw the wizzard stuff...nothing.
    Havent connected to try to install the wireless modem.

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    Have you tried contacting the modem manufacturers tech support on this
    issue?

    --

    > No, I installed XP, turned off comp., installed wired
    > cable modem, went threw the wizzard stuff...nothing.
    > Havent connected to try to install the wireless modem.

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    no, there is no contacts.

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    Well, somebody supplied you with the modem, if it was your ISP, contact
    them, if it was a retail establishment, contact them.

    The only other thing I can think of beyond what we've already mentioned is
    if you have any security software, antivirus, firewall, etc. be sure all are
    turned off before running the wizard, you may have to disable them so they
    won't load when booting.

    --

    > no, there is no contacts.

Configuration NTFS Hard Drives Partition Windows XP