hawk 2-6

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
Hey guys
Just set up a PC with a Q6600 G0 and an asus P5Q-SE PLUS motherboard.

The fan stays at exactly the same speed no matter how crazy the CPU is going (no change right up to 70 celcius at which point I become more than paranoid).

CPU temp readings correct, validated by speedfan (If I got core0 to do a lot of work, it would heat up while the rest would stay cool, for example).

Any ideas on how to solve this, what the cause is.. anything?
hawk

hawk 2-6

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
Ooook.. let me see..

My CPU temperature IS fine generally, but if I make my CPU work really really hard (100% on all 4 cores for a few mins), it heats up WITHOUT THE FAN actually speeding up as I believe it should to try to keep it cool(er), so the fan speed does not change from something like 1100RPM EVER.

The HSF should step up a gear as the processor gets hotter and hotter to keep it at a controlled temperature, this is not happening.

Am I right in saying that the hotter the CPU, the faster your fan should be spinning to try to keep it cool? This is the case in all systems I've been working with..

Yeah, it's stock HSF

Will get back to you on the other temperature readings.

Do you know the specifications for your cpu heatsink fan? Is it possible that 1,100 rpm is the maximum speed? If so, then you can't make them run faster. I use two Scythe S-Flex, 1,200 rpm fans with my tower style heatsink. That is top speed for mine and temps are very very respectable.

According to Intel the thermal specification for a Q6600 G0 is 71 degrees Celsius. Here's what Intel has to say:

The thermal specification shown is the maximum case temperature at the maximum Thermal Design Power (TDP) value for that processor. It is measured at the geometric center on the topside of the processor integrated heat spreader. For processors without integrated heat spreaders such as mobile processors, the thermal specification is referred to as the junction temperature (Tj). The maximum junction temperature is defined by an activation of the processor Intel® Thermal Monitor. The Intel Thermal Monitor’s automatic mode is used to indicate that the maximum TJ has been reached.

Temps in the mid 60's at load are not unusal for the cpu.

What pc case do you have?
What is the ambient room temperature when you measure cpu temps?
Have you tried Coretemp and Realtemp as suggested by chookman?

I am not saying 71C is safe. According to Intel that is the point where things start getting warm. If Intel's own thermal monitor is running in automatic mode that is the point where it takes notice.

Please tell us what the temperature is in the room where your pc is located.
Please run Coretemp and Realtemp as requested.
Part of the problem may be differences in the way utilities report temperatures.
Once we have those numbers we can suggest a few additional improvements.

With a little more information from you we might be able to help drop the temps at load.

EDIT - I took a look at the specification for your pc case. Ventilation, airflow, and cooling are not the greatest. I'll make some suggestions after you run the utilities and post results!