Not open for further replies.
I have a craptop, here's the specs:

eMachines E620-5885/Acer Aspire 5515

AMD Athlon 64 2650e 1.6GHz
2GB PC5300 DDR2-667
ATi Radeon X1200 (256MB allocated)
WD 5400rpm SATA HD
Northbridge: AMD RS690MC
Southbridge: ATi SB600 (Jesus, it's the same southbridge as my desktop gaming rig! LOL)
PLL Chip #: ICS951462

I use this thing for school and so I don't even need it running at 1.6GHz. I underclocked it to 1.4GHz to reduce heat and increase battery charge life but it's not stable at this frequency, I had to put it back to 1.6GHz. Can anyone tell me why this is? I'm accustomed to overclocking causing instability because of hardware strain but I didn't know that underclocking could do it as well. If you need more info on my laptop here's a page for it:

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4337260

If what you want to know isn't listed, just ask. I can find out anything about this laptop. Thanks in advance. :sol:

Solution
The reason your system is crashing is becuase the PLL control is currupting the Bios settings. If you want to underclock the CPU you need to unlock your Bios and lower the FSB, your CPU multiplier is locked, there is no way of lowering that value.

I had the same issue with an old Dell lappy, I was able to unlock the bios but it would not let me change any setting other than the voltages and FSB settings.

The only AMD mobile CPU's that let's you lower the multi is the the Turion. Hope this helps..

I'm using clockgen, what else would I need to change?

Ok, sorry I haven't been on in a few days, schoolwork had to be done. Here's what it says in clockgen now that I've set it back to 1.6GHz:

CPU - 1596MHz
FSB - 199.5MHz
RAM - 319.2MHz
PCIE - 100MHz
PCI - 33.33MHz

The reason your system is crashing is becuase the PLL control is currupting the Bios settings. If you want to underclock the CPU you need to unlock your Bios and lower the FSB, your CPU multiplier is locked, there is no way of lowering that value.

I had the same issue with an old Dell lappy, I was able to unlock the bios but it would not let me change any setting other than the voltages and FSB settings.

The only AMD mobile CPU's that let's you lower the multi is the the Turion. Hope this helps..

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.