magnetite

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
I've been having these random lock ups off and on for the past few months. I've narrowed it down to scrolling with Firefox, playing certain video files, and sometimes with games. The hard part about it is, it's totally random. With FSX it was easy because once the new fan went in, the lockups in FSX went away. Still having other random lockups though.

Basically here's what happens. My RAM is perfectly fine. My hard drive dies, a new one goes in, and because of the random crashes, it dies again. Mostly due to the fact that I can't use my keyboard and mouse to shut down Windows normally.

This is what my hard drive looks like now. Or at least it's health status. Anyways I would like to get this machine stable.

Specs:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83 GHz
Asus P5N-T Deluxe
4 GB DDR2 800 RAM
Windows Vista 64-bit Home Premium
Corsair 750W PSU
BFG GTX 280 OC
Seagate 2x1 TB hard drives (bad one with original SD15 firmware, the good one with upgraded SD1A firmware)

There was an article back in December where Seagate hard drives were failing at an alarming rate. My drives were listed (SD15 firmware), however, since the serial number didn't match the ones listed for needing the upgrade, I didn't upgrade the C: because wasn't listed needing the upgrade. The model number was on there, but the serial number did not match as well, so the tool on Seagate's site said not to do anything to the C: drive. The storage drive (D:\) did need the upgrade though, and it's been running smooth since I bought it. Just this C: drive is not looking too good.

In fact, this is actually a replacement drive. Not the original. Strange. Not sure if the hard drive would cause the lock ups though. The heat issues were fixed.

Here's something I dug up. Says I had a parity error, but I thought parity only happened if you had RAID, which I don't. Not sure if that means anything.

This one says something about resetting the device, but that could just mean when the computer was restarted, say for Windows Update.

Ran a CHKDSK last night on my drive (both C: and H: partitions of the drive), and it came up clean, but SMART is still reporting that my hard drive is going to die soon. Not sure who is telling the truth.

Anyways, any help would be appreciated.

nvstor64 is reporting several errors. Even though you're not using RAID, you're still using a controller with RAID capability. The parity error is detected on port 0 of the RAID controller (that should be the port where the disk is connected), but it could be caused by a defective disk, a bad SATA cable, a loose connection, etc. If SMART reports that the disk will die soon, then you definitely back it up and replace it if the SATA cable and connections are good.

magnetite

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
Okay, sounds good. I probably will look at a Western Digital drive this time due to the problems I heard about Seagate's drives failing and such. Not sure if getting this drive replaced with another Seagate drive will result in more issues.