WC with 200mm fans

bubblehead

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2010
New to posting, been kicking around the forum for a while, researching water cooling. I'm an engineer and pipe fitter by trade, so this is kind of fun. I'm building a WC system to greatly reduce fan noise, and allow some modest OC. Build is i7, Asus P6d board, and a TBD video card(s) also water cooled. I liked the build of the HAF 932, lots of room in the case.

My first intent was to build a natural circulation natural convection radiator external to the case. I realized I need some benchmark data if I'm going to do that right, and something to fall back on during the design development. So in looking over the case I decided to top mount some radiators; but instead of using the traditional 120X3 I installed two each 92X2 rads. This will be cooled by a stunningly quite 230X200 mm case fan, which fits great over the rads. In fact if I need more cooling I'l add another set of two rads and one fan; second loop for GPUs. The 92X4 rads (black ice extreame) offer ~34K of square mm surface area, 68 if I add a second set for gpu cooling. A 3X120 provides ~43K square mm of cooling and loud fans.

I'm wondering if anyone has tried this before, if there are any problems ahead others can point out. I would love a few pictures or some performance expirience with the 2X92 rads.

Also wondering about tubing, The MB blocks are from EK, and in some metric sizes (their in the mail atm), and the balance of the system is 1/2 inch barb. I'll figure it out, just wondering if anyone else has done the work already.

Thanks all and love the forum!

bubblehead

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2010

Are the cooling needs and air flow design going to be met by the fan in use?
Fan is a coolmaster mod# H23030-10CB-3DN-L1
The web site lists the vital stistics as: 700 RPM, 110 CFM, 19 dBA

The rads are black ice 92X2, two each side by side.

Thanks again

bubblehead

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2010

Are the cooling needs and air flow design going to be met by the fan in use?
Fan is a coolmaster mod# H23030-10CB-3DN-L1
The web site lists the vital stistics as: 700 RPM, 110 CFM, 19 dBA

The rads are black ice 92X2, two each side by side.

Thanks again

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
BI rads 92 mm? Your kidding right?

Those rads are so old and high FPI you need 100+CFM 92MM fans to even begin to perform.

Do you realize how old those radiators are? They are from years ago that the ONLY other option was a 1977 Radiator heater core from a Boneville. It needed MASSIVE fans, but it worked. BI was a top early contenter with rads for PC's.

Thats soo old. And I mean wow old tech.

Your case fan isn't nearly able to create enuff pressure for those rads, might as well just let them sit in dead air.

Sorry about the slam. Your research is about 2-3 months short of having a clue about watercooling. Start at the top of this forum for modern help and a few forums YOU NEED to join to read daily and learn.

This one on my home forum is from a NEW watercooler. His ability (number one, hes good) and our forum input got him where he is. All effots and results are to his credit.:

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=639546

You need a new daily home.
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/index.php

My rig and my kitchen.
http://www.overclockers.com/annual-water-cooling-cleaning-rebuild-journal/

bubblehead

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2010
Wow, that hurt. Really makes me want to hang around more.

I don't find much reference to 92mm fans, and none to using a 200 fan to cool with; but I get the concept of they are so old that they have fallen off the forum. I may build a shroud and add a second 200mm fan on top if the first go around does not work. Pushme-Pullyou.

Later