9800GTX overriding fan speeds

Hi all,

I've googled this problem quite extensively, and I can't seem to find an answer. I swapped out my 8800GTS for an MSI 9800GTX. I use RivaTuner to apply clock speed and fan profiles. The clock speed overrides seem to work fine, but for some reason the card keeps on resetting the fan speed to auto control, no matter what I try and change it to. Anyone have any idea how to fix this? I'm on 195.62 drivers, by the way.

You can also use MSI Afterburner, its the same as Precision but better IMHO.

You can adjust your fan curve and it will automatically raise the fan speed accordingly to the GPU temp. This is how I have my GTX 260 set-up :

http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv199/OvrClkr/Afterburner.png

Afterburner.png

special thanks to notty22 for this info =)

I used your advice and tried Afterburner. It works great, I can create a custom fan profile and the fan responds. However, Afterburner does not allow me to underclock my card as far as RivaTuner does. There is no way to change the min/max thresholds as far as I can tell.

I simply cannot figure out why Afterburner can change the fan speed but RivaTuner doesn't. They're built on the same engine, after all.

What exactly are you trying to achieve here? I have been able to underclock/overclock all my cards with Afterburner, of course this is up to a certain point, any reason why you need to underclock the GPU? And what clocks are you trying to achieve here?

I'm hoping to underclock my card as far as possible in idle mode to keep it cool and save a bit of power. The default clocks are core/shader/memory of 756/1890/1152. With RivaTuner I've got it down to 250/621/378, or about one-third of max. The best Afterburner can do is around 570/1400/875.

Yea well I do not recommend using Afterburner to achieve a record underclock. I would use Riva for the underclocking and Afterburner for the fan profile. You can use both at the same time so don't worry about any conflicts/hiccups etc...

Interesting idea... Will give it a shot, thanks.