Sign in with
Your question

Which mobo fits my needs best?

Last response: in Motherboards
March 30, 2009 2:10:53 AM

Hey guys

I'm tuning up my old PC.

I've decided to go for an AMD phenom II 940 processor, and I'm probably gonna run 2x ATI Radeon HD 487.
So, what motherboard should I go for?
A cheap one would be brilliant.

Alexander.

More about : mobo fits

a c 435 V Motherboard
March 30, 2009 12:28:39 PM

Newegg has an asus m3a-76 for $64.99 that might work without a bios flash. It lists bios version 0302 for most cpus. Newegg has newer stock than some venders, so the board may come with the latest bios version. If you're inexperienced with bios flashes, get an asus, gigabyte, or msi board for better customer service and more bios updates. The egg also has 3 am2+ and am3 boards but only one of them is asus.
March 30, 2009 3:40:38 PM

Aight, I did some research, and came up with the motherboard MSI K9A2 CF-F.
This is the parts I've found, and I was wondering if you could tell me if they would fit together. Sure I've searched for parts that would fit together, but it would be nice to have it confirmed by someone who knows about it - that they do fit.

The motherboard: MSI K9A2 CF-F
The graphics card: Sapphire RADEON HD 4870
The CPU: Phenom II X4 940 6 MB

Lastly how strong a PSU should I get for the CPU?

Thanks in advance
Related resources
a c 435 V Motherboard
March 31, 2009 2:02:33 AM

Look under "cpu support" for the msi board to be sure it will post with the first bios version. The 940 is a newer cpu, so some boards may require a flash before installation. For the power supply, get a 650-750 watt corsair, seasonic, antec, pc power and cooling, or enermax. None of these brands is low budget. Expect to spend about $75-110. Check newegg for rebates. The cpu doesn't need a high end ps, but the 4870 does.
March 31, 2009 8:18:22 AM

Aight, thanks alot for enlightening me!
March 31, 2009 8:32:25 AM

Lastly, that motherboard. Will it work well do you think, with the other hardware the 940 processor and the 4870 graphics card? From what I've read on random sites, it should fit fine, but I thought I just wanted it "confirmed" in here.

Alexander.
!