Two Nvidia Graphics cards in Vista PC

charlbury

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2008
Hi

I'm trying to add a third monitor to a Dell Dimension 9200 running Vista.

I have two nvidia graphics cards but the secondary card is causing my machine to blue screen when it boots.

I suspect it is an IRQ conflict or some other conflict but when I look at the devices in Device manager the options to change the IRQ resources are greyed out and so I cannot change them

The two cards are

* Primary card - NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS
* Secondary Card - nvidia Verto GF FX5200 PCI 128MB

Can anyone tell me how I can reassign which IRQ either of the video cards use?

OR, can anyone help in general in getting these cards to work together in one machine?

Thanks

Steve

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
In Vista, you can't have two different graphics card drivers running at the same time, so you can't have two different series of cards running. I believe that might be your problem.

You could run something from the 8, 9, and GTX 2 series, but nothing below since it would use a different driver.

If you were running XP, there are some workarounds, but it's not exactly what Microsoft had planned.

charlbury

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2008
So, would it be even worse if I had one nvidia card and one none nvidia card?

My trouble is, I have to have a PCI video card for the second video card as I only have PCI cord slots spare.

G

Hi I have the same problem with the blue screen on vista. I have the geForce 8800GTX and now tried the geForce 8400 GS. Does these two not use the same driver? What card will use the same driver as the 8800 without spending too much by buying another 8800?