Sign in with
Your question

Remote Desktop by ethernet stops wireless connection

Last response: in Windows XP
April 28, 2011 7:13:00 PM

Hello, I have two identical laptops running XP Pro. I remote desktop from one to the other using an ethernet connection, but every time i do, the wireless network connection for the internet on the computer that I connected to stops working. It still shows the available wireless networks and tries to connect, but just gets stuck on "waiting for network". If I exit remote desktop and go to the other pc, the wireless is connected fine again. The wireless card is an Intel Wifi Link 5100 AGN. A google search gave me a few possible solutions, none of which worked. My XP is fully updated. I have tried -
Updating the wireless drivers.
Actually trying to use the intel sofware instead of the windows one.
Changing all power management options in the device properties to be always on.
Disabling fast-user switching.
And of course the obvious disabling and enabling of the card.

Any chance anyone has any other possible solutions? Thanks very much in advance for your help,
James
a c 80 F Wireless
April 28, 2011 8:29:45 PM

windows can ONLY manage ONE network card at a time; therefore, as soon you connect remotely it disconnects the Wireless.
m
l
a b F Wireless
April 28, 2011 10:09:18 PM

This might be solved by modifying the routing table. I did this once with W2K when I had an isolated office LAN and connected to the Internet by modem. I was able to modify the routing table to allow me to still have access to network shares and printers while connected to the Internet.
m
l
Related resources
a b F Wireless
April 28, 2011 10:10:57 PM

Emerald said:
windows can ONLY manage ONE network card at a time; therefore, as soon you connect remotely it disconnects the Wireless.

One correction: Windows can only AUTOMATICALLY manage ONE network at a time. See my previous post.
m
l
April 29, 2011 1:48:07 PM

Thanks a lot for responses. Are you sure that that is the case though? The wireless still works fine on the laptop doing the connecting, and when I'm not remote desktoping, I can still see both the laptops as workgroup computers through the ethernet connection, and the wireless works....

Thanks, James
m
l
!