Building a computer (which motherboard)

stowell48

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
Hi, I am building a new computer and I am thinking of getting the

AMD Phenom II X4 940 Deneb 3.0GHz Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Black Edition Processor Model HDZ940XCGIBOX - Retail
with this ram
CORSAIR DOMINATOR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X4096-8500C5D - Retail

It is a bundle deal so a pretty good price on Newegg. My question is what is a good motherboard to go with this selection? I have only used Asus in the past and will most likely choose another asus board, but I am open to other suggestions.

Also, I will be using this computer for some games, but mostly Photoshop cs4 and Lightroom 2. Is there a better choice that you would recommend other than the CPU and ram that I have selected?

Thanks for your help.

stowell48

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009

Would I be better off looking for a AM3 processor?

OH BOY! That is a difficult question to answer. There is a lot of discussion about that going on right now. Hardcore gamers are having a field day with it. They're also trying to compare the Phenom II with Intel Core i7. That's probably not a good idea. For me price is a significant factor. Intel costs a lot more. Upgrading to Phenom II x3 triple core, an AM3 motherboard, and DDR3 memory is also going to cost more. Upgrading to Phenom II x4 is the least expensive upgrade.

The first of the Phenom II cpu's just came out. The general opinion is it's just the beginning. AMD is expected to come out with Phenom II x4 quad core cpu's that are designed for AM3 motherboards and DDR3 memory. The only question is how soon. I am thinking April but my crystal ball is broke.

You mentioned using your pc for some games but mostly for Photoshop CS4 and Lightroom 2. That would suggest upgrading to a quad core. With quad core you should see an improvement during rendering processes. It might be worth waiting a little bit to see what else AMD is going to offer consumers.

Do you use one video card or two video cards?

stowell48

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
Thanks for all your help! I will keep watching them. I need to get one pretty soon so I may not be able to wait to see what else comes out. If I end up getting one with DDR2, I hope I won't be disappointed, but I am sure it will still move extremely well.