Need Help Deciding on Ram

Matt1990

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
The computer I am using now is the HP Pavilion a1630n with 2 Gigs of ram

I play a lot of online gaming and was wondering if i bumped it up to 4 gigs would it make a difference, and if i did, what ram is compatible, i know I need DDR2, but I dont know much about which brands and such.

I was looking at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134065
and was wondering if that's compatible with what I have

Also was thinking about getting a new graphics card

Please post any suggestions / tips, they would be greatly appreciated :D

thanks!

halcyon

Splendid
Get 4 of them and REPLACE what's already in there for best compatibility. Otherwise, due to time differences, etc. the new ones might not coexist with your existing RAM. Since its so cheap, just replace your existing RAM.

And before you buy a graphics card, make sure the power supply unit present in the system would be able to power that card...
Generally the company assembled computers don't have good quality high wattage power supplies with the required power connectors, which is needed to run a high power graphics card...
But you can get the ATI 4670 as it doesn't require additional power connectors...

Matt1990

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009

sweet, thx for all the advice

I'm not sure but I don't think your pc came with a 64 bit OS. If your still using a 32bit OS on there you pc will only see 3 of 4 gigs of ram. If your running windows XP i'd stick with the 2gigs of ram and perhaps reformat your PC.

halcyon

Splendid
With XP how much more is ~1.2GB of RAM going to help? With Vista 32 it might make a difference. However, RAM is cheap, I just don't think there's gonna be much better performance in XP by going past 2GB.

Matt1990

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009

Anyone have any other suggestions