Putting together a computer this week, need advice overclocking.

Rylen

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2010
Hi I already have these parts ordered and ready, this is my first build ever, and I tried to go with High Performance with low noise and low heat. This was the best I could come up with under my budget.

What I'm going to need help with is the OC, since this will be my first build ever, and the first time I ever attempt Overclocking, what types of speeds should I aim for with the CPU, Memory, and GPU? What do I overclock first? I guess I'm looking for the most fail safe ways to overclock, not the best performance possible with extreme OC.

I've read the Mushkin Memory I have can reach 1800mhz @ 6-8-6-24 timing, I think thats about where I should try to be with the memory right?

Any help would be much appreciated.

I'll get a SATA III SSD in a few months, when it has matured a bit and their is more competition forcing prices a bit down.

Lian Li PC-A05NB
1067.jpg

Replacement Cover for Top
T-LM14B-2-b.jpg

Asus PX658D Premium
asus_p6x58d_premium_board_01.jpg

Powercolor HD 5870 PCS+
PowerColor_PCS+_HD5870_01.jpg

i7 930
i7930.jpg

Mushkin Ridgeline PC3-12800 (6-8-6-24)
ridgebacktriple.aspx

Seagate Constellation ES 1TB
seagate-2-terabyte-hard-disk.jpg

Corsair Modular 750HX
B0029F21LK.jpg

Prolimatch MegahalmCPU Cooler
00547289.jpg

Two 120mm Noctua Case Fan from Noctua
image.jpg

One 120mm Noctua CPU Fan
nf-p12.jpg

One 140mm Noctua Case Fan
IMG_1569.jpg

What I'm going to need help with is the OC, since this will be my first build ever, and the first time I ever attempt Overclocking, what types of speeds should I aim for with the CPU, Memory, and GPU? What do I overclock first? I guess I'm looking for the most fail safe ways to overclock, not the best performance possible with extreme OC.

I've read the Mushkin Memory I have can reach 1800mhz @ 6-8-6-24 timing, I think thats about where I should try to be wi

1. No real point of OCing RAM. You can leave it at stock imo.

2. If this is a gaming set up, I'd OC the GPU first since it will make the most difference in gaming and it's relatively easy to do via something like EVGA Precision, MSI Afterburner, ATITool, or RivaTuner.

3. If you're doing vid editing, a lot of multi tasking,etc, then OC the CPU too. You should be able to get 3.6Ghz easily. Read: http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core-i7-920-overclocking.html

aaron686

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
According to Shadow703793, it all depends on what you are going to do with this system. But the level of the overclocks is up to you and the capacity of your cooling setup. I would start off with the gpu if i were you because its really easy (I know most 5870 manufacturers supply a overclocking utility with the product, not sure about powercolor though) but you can easily download a free overclocking utility like ATITool. Then you can move on to the cpu. I wouldnt even bother messing with the RAM bcuz that wont improve performance that much. Overclocking the i7 is pretty easy and there are numerous tutorials on the tube. With that cooler you wont have to worry much about heat (just dont go too crazy ;) and you can definately reach 3.0 ghz with that. Hope this helps!

But the level of the overclocks is up to you and the capacity of your cooling setup.
That is correct, however, if the OP won't be using any CPU intensive stuff, there really isn't any point of OCing OCing the CPU is there? The i7 920/930 has more than enough CPU power for most games.

Change BCLK to 167
Memory Mulitplier = 10 (RAM Speed = 1670)
Leave everything else on auto except....

RAM timings....set manually
CPU Core Voltage.....try lowering to 1.125.....if not close as you can get and remain stable. Try pushing up BCLK about 3 at a time till you hit ceiling....which my guess is will be around 180 before you have to start messing w/ other settings. Test with Linx, OCCT, Prime95

My son runs about 54 C avg core temps with similar settings (177 BCLK) with Megahalems on a 920 on his "everyday" OC profile.