Lots of Issues (head explode time><)

thevirus20

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2008
Alright ive been having a problem and I dont know what it is. I have purchased a GTX 260 a GTX 280 and a Radeon 4870 X2 Diamond. Yet my screen is still flickering! I dont think its the monitor because it only happens some times and the monitor is only a year old (hanns-g 28 inch). Im running a 790i Ultra Sli, q6600 @ 3.2 Ghz and a tuniq tower for cooling. I have no clue what is causing this but its driving me insane! Any help would be greatly apreciated.

Also im useing the Radeon right now and for some reason even over clocked to 800/1000 im busting a 17,600 3dmark score yet only getting 30-50 fps in WoW? How is this possible?

WOW performance is very CPU and server dependant, the WOW crowd here can give you tweak tips but there's a bazillion factors involved in its performance that are not limited to GPU alone.

As for your flickering issue, three things to check first;

A) Try another monitor, even if you just borrow a crap one from a friend or whatever.

B) Change the cable on your current monitor with a loaner cable from somewhere, you could have a bent/broken pin/wire which is causing problems. Also check the holes on the moitor side to be sure nothing is in there either.

C) Make sure the monitor is getting clean power (either from a UPS or try another socket on another circuit/breaker) just to avoid any potential interference issues. Along the same lines, make sure your GPU is getting enough power from the PSU. Unlikely to be the issue, but many things happen with underpowered systems/cards.

Also, that it's a new monitor doesn't mean it can't be faulty, if you've never had something fail within weeks of purchase, then you're lucky. There's no reason why you graphics card can fail early or be bad from the start and your monitor couldn't.

thevirus20

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2008
Alright so I went out and baught a brand new hannspree 28 inch and i see no lines no flickering what so ever so far

COmputer specs are as listed.

Cooler Master 750 Watt PSU
Ati Radeon 4870 X2 Diamond 2gigs ddr5 over clocked to 800/1000
Quad core q6600 B3 @ 3.15 Ghz
2 gigs of ampo ddr3 1333 MHz
2x 150 gig raptor drives in raid 0 stripe
Tuniq Tower Cpu heat sinc
Nvidia 790i ULtra sli Mother board
About 7 120mm Antec fans running at 100%

I just am not seeing the performance from this card as i should be i mean come on now 40fps in WoW? i should be getting 100+ atleast hell i had that on my 8800 gtx before it burned out. although the game does seem to look graphically alot better and seems to render farther i believe.

Playing online can enter in alot of differing problems, not just hardware based, like TGGA said. Id suggest playing a different game, and see what differences it gives you. If it then is still slower, then you may have a hardware problem, otherwise, Id say its more connection, server etc etc problems

Well also take note of that. I don't play WOW, but with games like Oblivion, the default settings boost up when better hardware is installed, this may tax the new setup closer to it's limits than the old setup. So if shader quality or view distance / LOD is increased, then you may see the fps drop compared to other solutions/options, but that's because it's working harder to do these more things. You might get similar performance by reducing the quality settings somewhere in the game, or maybe not even then, but unless you compare apples to apples then the fps alone is not an indication of subpar performance. Also just one game is not enough to compare either.

If you remember what the settings were for the GF8800, you might be able to return to those and then boost your performance, but of course it would be a trade-off with those improvements/changes you noted. It's a matter of which means more to your enjoyment.