Sign in with
Your question

E6600 and GA-EP45-UD3P

Last response: in Overclocking
April 4, 2010 6:34:32 AM

Hey guys. I haven't been on here in a couple of years, ever since I built my first computer back in..2006? No idea..it was whenever the Core 2's first showed up.

Anyways, here's the story. A year ago, I moved to Houston, and shipped my computer from Seattle to my new house through UPS (United Parcel Smashers). I received it, and my lovely P5B Deluxe and (not so lovely) 7600GT were completely dead.

I ordered a GTX 260 and I got a GA-EP45-UD3P to replace my P5B Deluxe. I haven't tried OC'ing on this board because I still have the stock HSF; however, I just bought one off of Newegg and will hope to get at least 3-3.3 GHz out of my CPU.

I have already tried slight overclocks, but I cannot get over 290 FSB. The boar keeps resetting. I have no idea what to even try, as it was a lot easier to OC on the Asus I had before. Help? :ange: 

E6600
2x2GB OCZ DDR2 1066
GTX 260
EP45-UD3P
650w Antec PSU (don't remember the exact one, too lazy to open up the case..it's 1:32 AM :D )
Antec 900 (missin' my $15 Lanboy from Fry's lol)

More about : e6600 ep45 ud3p

a b K Overclocking
April 4, 2010 6:55:51 AM

And the settings your using? We know 290, but don't know voltages, ram ratios, etc. Can't help if you don't supply the details.

Don't forget to read the overclocking sticky either.
a b å Intel
a c 197 K Overclocking
April 4, 2010 3:08:10 PM

Oops. Duplicate post.
Related resources
a b å Intel
a c 197 K Overclocking
April 4, 2010 3:08:17 PM

I suspect that the reason you cannot get over 290 MHz FSB is that you are overclocking your RAM beyond its capabilites. You should be able to get at least 3.3 GHz from an E6600 with a halfway decent cooler. If your RAM is set on Auto at stock speeds, your CPU is running at 266 MHz and your RAM clock is running at 1066 MHz. At 290 MHz, your RAM is running at DDR2-1150 speeds.

This should be your first stop.
HOWTO: Overclock C2Q (Quads) and C2D (Duals) - Guide v1.6.1
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/240001-29-howto-overc...

Shadow's Gigabyte motherboard OC guide:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/page-245679_11_0.ht...
It's for an EP35-DS3L but all the Gigabyte Core2 BIOS's are similar.

Go through the guides. Then take your core voltage off Auto and set your memory voltage to factory recommended values. Change the System Memory Multiplier from AUTO to 2.00, 2.00B, or 2.00D - whichever you need to set the Memory Frequency to twice the FSB. Then when you increase the FSB, the memory clock will rise in in proportion with it. At an FSB of 266 MHz, your memory clock should be at 533 MHz. I know that sounds low, but as you increase the FSB, it will rise pretty quickly.

Download CPUZ. Use it to check your FSB:RAM ratio. Should be 1:1.
April 4, 2010 4:46:00 PM

Thanks. I managed to get the FSB to 345, and it was running at 3.1 GHz. However, I'm still waiting for my HSF to arrive from Newegg to keep that overclock. Before overclocking, my idle temps were at around 42 C, and when I brought it up to 345, they were around 56-58 C, reaching 76-77 C with Orthos, which is way, way too high.

Thanks for the links. I checked out the first link, but I will also read through the second one. It might prove to be even more useful.

What exactly does the System Memory Multiplier do? I set it to 2.00B and was able to raise the FSB past 290 that way. Also, what is the difference between A/B/C/D? Sorry for all the newb questions. :lol: 
a b å Intel
a c 197 K Overclocking
April 6, 2010 1:56:17 AM

SMM sets the speed of the RAM clock to some ratio of the FSB. DDR2 RAM is designed to run at twice the FSB frequency. It transfers 2 chunks of data each bus cycle. Higher numbers run the memory faster than the FSB. That doesn't help performance very much because then the memory has to sit and wait for the FSB to catch up before it can transfer the data into or out of the CPU.

(OK, purists. Yes, I know that I am simplifying. :)  )

The "A - D"? Different Gigabyte BIOS's. The G41 BIOS has a "2.00". The P35 uses "2.00A". I originally called it "2.00". Then one day someone posted back and said, "But my Gigabyte board doesn't have a '2.00'. It has a '2.00A'." It's just an attempt to cover as many bases as I can. The important thing is the "2.00".
!