Screen Flickering

Xnipes

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2008
I had this weird screen flickering that just started like a white line and moved into like a flickering sound wave line that looked like white noise. Then the whole screen flickers black and then it stays like that until I exited a game.

I tried a variety of monitor tests such as changing refresh rate, resolution, etc... to no avail.

In Valve games I turned on Vsync and the flickering stopped, with all settings maxed out. Every once and a while I'd get it randomly though. It was my fix though, I was satisfied. This also worked for RA3, WoW, etc.

I had diagnosed temperatures of my major computer parts. Nothing was going very high. Max CPU temperature during games was like 45 Celcius, and the GPU never went over 50.

I tried various monitors including LCD's and CRT's and it made no difference.

I played Crysis without Vsync and there was no flickering what so ever even after a long period of time (even though the flickering usually started early on.)

Now when I purchase STALKER, I'm getting the flickering Vsync or not. I have no idea what it is considering the diagnoses that would make sense if things didn't contradict it. If it was overheating then why does Crysis run flawlessly?

I just don't understand how to diagnose this or what to look for. This 1500 purchase of a computer has been pretty **** to me.

EDIT: When I did my Wrench Ninja video I turned Vsync off while recording-no flickering.

the last resort

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2008
2 questions:
What video card?
And what power supply?

If the PSU is not powerful enough it COULD cause this, though doubt it. Other than that, it sounds kinda like a bad card. Try a different driver and see if that fixes anything.

Xnipes

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2008
I tried a new DVI Adapter as a last resort type thing, but nothing. Does anyone think it's just a bad card? My monitor played these games fine on my old computer.