RAID question

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Velociraptor
  • NAS / RAID
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
May 6, 2010 3:39:52 PM

I have a Velociraptor drive with Win 7 Pro already installed.
I would like in future to buy another Velociraptor drive and set up Raid 0. I have never set up Raid before and was wondering do you have to reinstall Win 7 Pro when I set up Raid 0? Is there a way to set up Raid without losing my disk image?

Thanks

More about : raid question

a c 415 G Storage
May 6, 2010 5:05:48 PM

There's no way to "convert" a single disk to a RAID-0 volume. So you'll either have to reinstall Windows and all your applications, or make an image backup of your partition and then restore it to the newly-created RAID-0 volume.
m
l
May 6, 2010 7:45:41 PM

Okay, thanks sminlal
m
l
Related resources
a c 127 G Storage
May 6, 2010 7:56:50 PM

With the Intel drivers this is possible i think, they can also migrate from one RAID level to another and other cool stuff.

You would need to install their driver/software package (rapid storage technologies or something like that) and use their utility to activate the migration.
m
l
a c 415 G Storage
May 6, 2010 11:27:49 PM

sub mesa said:
With the Intel drivers this is possible i think, they can also migrate from one RAID level to another and other cool stuff.
Really? I had no idea, thanks for the correction!
m
l
a c 127 G Storage
May 7, 2010 1:35:35 AM

Yes, the Intel drivers are pretty feature-loaded, unlike most other onboard RAIDs. None of the other vendors i know can do this. Only hardware RAID like Areca.
m
l
!