Xp repair install asking for files not on cd

colofrustrated

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
I started with the POST hang "Verifying DMI pool data"
Reset BIOS/CMOS - No Joy
Tried repairing the boot sector using FIXBOOT (or something like that) from the Repair Console - No Joy
BUT, I could navigate the hard drive from the repair console so I think it is OK
Tried the FIXMBR - same

Now, I'm trying to do a repair install of XP. I got through entering the key, but now it is asking for programs that are not on the XP Installation CD. The first one is "cimwin32.mf_"

Ran into this last night and there were at least 10 programs it asked for. "Cancel"ing loading the specific programs left me with a hang at the Welcome to Windows screen.

I didn't run into this when I did my original installation. That went fine. So, Why does it think it needs programs that aren't on the CD? Where can I find them?

Thanks in advance

Hello and welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums.

It sounds as though your CD is one of the earlier Service Pack versions and you're using it to try to repair a SP3 system. You would need to slipstream SP3 on to a bootable CD for that purpose which, of course, you can't in present circumstances. Another possibility is you're using a Home CD on a Pro installation.

Go back to the first Repair option and this time run Checkdisk by typing chkdsk /r at the Command Prompt. The /r switch will cause a five stage process of checking the disk and attempting repairs on bad sectors.

colofrustrated

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
Thanks for your reply.

In all I did, I forgot to include that I did run chkdsk. I actually did that pretty early in my ordeal - even before the boot record tools. It reported all was well, but I still got the Verifying DMI data pool hang.

I spent about 6 hours and ended up putting the HD in another box, booting off the box's original drive and copying all my files off to an external drive. The drive had no (zero) problems copying the files so I guess it had to be something corrupted in the OS.

My XP CD is from '04 or '05 and is SP1. Rather than go through all the reloading and updating, I think I'll live with my temporary box until I can build a Windows 7 system.

Thanks again for your input.

quotemsg=928867,2,606217]
Hello and welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums.

It sounds as though your CD is one of the earlier Service Pack versions and you're using it to try to repair a SP3 system. You would need to slipstream SP3 on to a bootable CD for that purpose which, of course, you can't in present circumstances. Another possibility is you're using a Home CD on a Pro installation.

Go back to the first Repair option and this time run Checkdisk by typing chkdsk /r at the Command Prompt. The /r switch will cause a five stage process of checking the disk and attempting repairs on bad sectors.
[/quotemsg]