Will a Computer Post if Bios Battery is dead?

pawn

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2007
I have a computer that a power supply died. I replaced with the same model, Same amps and watts all the same. The Green light on the mobo comes on, but if i hit the power button nothing. I tested the PSU, works fine. Tested the CPU fan works. Tested the ram, and its fine. I just cant get the thing to power up.

My question is, will a bios battery stop a computer from turning on? i thought if the battery was dead, it would just post funny, but would atlest post.

Thanks
pawn

Belinda

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2004
M y experience of this is yes they will post. Also depends on if the power is turned off between actualy turning the Pc on and off as to if it boots normaly or as you would say funny.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
The computer will post, but it will not boot into Windows... You will likely get a series of beeps.

WAaaYY back when i was in School, my A+ instructor disassembled a machine and placed a piece of tape behind the battery and made us build/install as an assignment. This was a pretty good trick.. At the time.

The tape (same as dead or missing battery) caused the machine to fail post. But it did in fact get the beeps.

megafish

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
The computer will still boot without CMOS battery, but you will not be able to save changes in CMOS. The Green light on mobo is probably the power stand by LED. Take a closer look to your mobo for signs of damage components.

johnsame

Honorable
Oct 18, 2013
I think such a problem, the battery should be incompatible with your computer, then your computer or a problem with the internal circuitry.

Ricky Thomas

Reputable
Mar 20, 2014
I know this is an old thread but just wanted to give an actual true answer to this. Most computers will post and even run without a battery or with a dead battery, however there are a few machines (mostly older ones) that rarely will not post because of a dead or missing battery.