Sign in with
Your question

Water cooling Idea. Motorcycle radiator.

Last response: in Overclocking
April 5, 2010 2:06:32 AM

I had an idea I am working on to water cool my system. I have a radiator from a motorcycle and with waterblocks and some minor customization with a large fan I believe I could rig this system up externally but I am unsure what kind of coolant I should use. Would regular car coolant damage the water blocks and hosing. Just curious to know what you all think.
a c 86 K Overclocking
April 5, 2010 2:26:00 AM

I'm sure it's an aluminum radiator. You will have the danger of dissimilar metal corrosion. Run about 20% antifreeze, the rest distilled water. VW or Toyota antifreeze is the best for watercooling.

m
l
April 6, 2010 4:17:29 AM

zalittle said:
I had an idea I am working on to water cool my system. I have a radiator from a motorcycle and with waterblocks and some minor customization with a large fan I believe I could rig this system up externally but I am unsure what kind of coolant I should use. Would regular car coolant damage the water blocks and hosing. Just curious to know what you all think.

if its pure water then theres the possibility of corrosion but as long as you have a little antifreeze or even non-conductive fluid(which usually is non-corrosive also) you'll be fine.

keep in mind though...that rad was built for a motorcycle that has air constantly running through it very fast. it might not be rated for the cf/m of air flow you're computer fans are gonna put out. but if it works for you then go for it.
m
l
Related resources
April 7, 2010 1:06:19 AM

The air flow/CFM is a consideration. I am thinking of using a box fan with a custom shield to force the air through the radiator coils. Since the fan has three air settings I should be able to adjust CFM as needed therefore reducing wattage usage.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
April 7, 2010 2:27:05 AM

The motor cycle radiator will be 10 times more effective than a stock water cooler for the CPU. The odor of anti-freeze (coolant) will be a major negative issue in the case of any leak or venting; especially indoors. The drapes, carpets, upholstery, etc will absorb and retain this unpleasant odor. Because of this odor issue, consider some other type of liquid; such as distilled water or a mixture of distilled water and 70% isopropyl alcohol. Make sure that whatever coolant you select, is compatible with the flex tubing and other materials in the cooling system. A 100 CFM to 200 CFM fan with speed controls will serve the purpose well, without creating an excessive noise issue. Go for it!
m
l
a c 86 K Overclocking
April 7, 2010 3:29:02 AM

NO alcohol. Has the guy ever watercooled? I'm sure not at all.

Gaaa what fun odd inputs we get on Toms.

Alcohol ruins any acrylic parts like a res.

You ned to find a better real WC forum.
m
l
April 7, 2010 7:27:22 AM

Ubrales said:
The motor cycle radiator will be 10 times more effective than a stock water cooler for the CPU. The odor of anti-freeze (coolant) will be a major negative issue in the case of any leak or venting; especially indoors. The drapes, carpets, upholstery, etc will absorb and retain this unpleasant odor. Because of this odor issue, consider some other type of liquid; such as distilled water or a mixture of distilled water and 70% isopropyl alcohol. Make sure that whatever coolant you select, is compatible with the flex tubing and other materials in the cooling system. A 100 CFM to 200 CFM fan with speed controls will serve the purpose well, without creating an excessive noise issue. Go for it!

i have distilled water mixed with antifreeze running through my cpu and i have no issues with any odor. if you have an odor then there is an opening in your system somewhere. if there is an opening in your loop then bugs, dust, and even possibly misc hardware like screws and stuff could fall into your loop.

if you are wanting something 10x more effective then your stock water cooler why dont you just buy a peltier cooler instead of getting a motorcycle radiator? and how is a motorcycle radiator more effective then a ''stock'' water cooler? most watercooler loops are almost always custom made. you have to cut the hoses right to fit the case and you can choose your radiator size depending on how effective you want your WC loop to be.

i didnt use a small vehicle radiator because it was more effective, i used it because i found it in a junk yard for $3. i didnt use antifreeze because it was more effective either, i used it because it has anti-corrosive stuff in it...or at least thats what the bottle said...mixed with distilled water. its cheap...it works...but it doesnt look nice at all.

further more i have this fan
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
which is rated at 133CFM and its LOUD AS HELL!! 45dBa...if you're telling me 45dBa isnt excessive noise then youre on crack. a 200CFM fan would just be retardedly loud.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
April 7, 2010 3:40:05 PM

[further more i have this fan
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6835185054
which is rated at 133CFM and its LOUD AS HELL!! 45dBa...if you're telling me 45dBa isnt excessive noise then youre on crack. a 200CFM fan would just be retardedly loud.]

i4yue, your usage of "....then youre on crack..." is offensive and insulting. This is not the type of language to be used in a technical forum where people share ideas. Stick to data, facts, and research; not perceived personal opinions, and derogatory language.

Fan noise is a function of laminar flow, and airfoil characteristics of the blades; suitable speed controls must be deployed in order to obtain the least annoying level. The noise is also a function of the fan size.
m
l
April 7, 2010 3:51:23 PM

For such radical ideas, you must be having one really tech rig. Haven't seen your specs yet.
m
l
April 7, 2010 5:35:23 PM

i4yue, your usage of "....then youre on crack..." is offensive and insulting. This is not the type of language to be used in a technical forum where people share ideas. Stick to data, facts, and research; not perceived personal opinions, and derogatory language.

Fan noise is a function of laminar flow, and airfoil characteristics of the blades; suitable speed controls must be deployed in order to obtain the least annoying level. The noise is also a function of the fan size.[/quotemsg]

i dont know what you're trying to get at with all that technical talk but at full speed(133cfm) the fans are 40+dBa there are fans out there on newegg that reach 200cfm and their dba level is well above 60dBa.

my vacuum has a dBa level of 65!!! how are you going to use fan controls to lower airflow while keeping your 100-200cfm of air flow? if you ask me its to much work, measuring of dba, measuring of cfm when you can just go on frozencpu.com and buy a radiator that is already sized and fitted it PCs.

i threw in all that research before that comment and im sorry for the comment but its like you didnt even read any of the other things i said and just stuck to that one insult. was it because my research was right?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
April 7, 2010 8:25:34 PM

Starges said:
For such radical ideas, you must be having one really tech rig. Haven't seen your specs yet.

For specs on my rig, just click on "More information" just below my user name, and then click on "Member configuration".
m
l
April 7, 2010 10:59:02 PM

I do appreciate the input. The radiator is aluminum and I got it for free. The system is an older ASUS a7n8x, 2600 xp single core. This is just for fun as I get bored when my system runs fine lol. Always looking for something to Fix. I will try a few different methods and If I ever get the thing doing more than commercially sold setups I will post pics and specs. But beware, this rig will be ugly , loud and prob not even worth the time.
m
l
a c 86 K Overclocking
April 8, 2010 2:12:52 AM

i4yue said:

my vacuum has a dBa level of 65!!!

And probably so. The fan on a standard $250 house vacuum pulls a LOT of amps and does pull a lot of CFM, a LOT!

It's loud because is diameter is small and spins at a very high RPM.

Vacuum vs watercooling is like comparing a car radiator and pump to PC watercooling.

Do you watercool?
m
l
April 8, 2010 7:43:09 AM

yes i do watercool...just the cpu at the moment though.

stock cpu clock is 3.2ghz idle at 31c and load at like 37c with fans at only 50%

when OCed to 3.8ghz its idle at around 35c and loads in the high 40s with fans going at about 75%

with fans at 50% the only thing i hear is the hum of the pump and the rare air bubble that gets smashed when it hits the pump inlet.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
April 8, 2010 11:43:59 AM

What kind of wc setup are you using? I get similar, if not slightly better temps on my 965 with CM hyper 212+. I am not bragging, just asking because I am considering putting my CPU under wc, and to be honest, I want to be sure I am not taking a sideways step when I take the plunge (pun intended).
m
l
April 9, 2010 7:33:09 AM

JofaMang said:
What kind of wc setup are you using? I get similar, if not slightly better temps on my 965 with CM hyper 212+. I am not bragging, just asking because I am considering putting my CPU under wc, and to be honest, I want to be sure I am not taking a sideways step when I take the plunge (pun intended).

im using the old OLD swiftech h2o kits and im using a dual 120mm radiator to cool just a cpu. im sure if i were to cool another component or two the temps would stay constant still if not just a little hotter. but the temps would go below 30c if i turned the fans all the way up. if i turned it all the way up id have two fans cranking out 130cfm of air and 40+ dBa per fan...kinda loud so i just have it at 50% and im happy with the temps.

im a hydraulic mechanic and i choose WC over air because i get to put my mechanical skills to use. ^_^
m
l
!